2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Beginning Member
Viperguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer Electrical Issues

I've got a 97' Blazer 4x4 with some electrical issues. A bunch of things all of a sudden decided not to work today:

-4wd indicator lights aren't lit up
-when I push the 4wd hi or lo button, nothing happens (there's usually a click noise)(I'm stuck in 2wd)
-gauge cluster won't light up when I put the headlights on but the the warning indicator symbols do still work
-all of the others buttons on the dash don't light up
-chime doesn't sound if I leave my lights on when I turn the car off
-rear running lights don't go on but the brake lights work
-parking lights in frontwon't go on but they blink for the turn signal
-rear wiperdoesn't work

All of these things worked last night but didn't today. I checked some of the fuses and also had the alternator checked but they were alright. I greatly appreciate the help if anyone knows whats going on. Thanks

Viperguy

Old 12-16-2007, 12:01 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer Electrical Issues

Two things come to mind.

Headlight switch has crapped out, if I understand your post correctly, the light siwtch controls just about evrything you mentioned that isn't working.

Brakes, blinkers are on a seperate circuit form the parking, convienence lights, and they do not go through the light swtich.

The other is battery connections.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member
Viperguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Now, what about the 4x4 controls, though. Those lights are supposed to stay on even when the headlights aren't switched on. Also, I'm a little confused abouta bad headlight switch not allowing me to switch it into 4wd. By the way, the headlights themselves do still go on. Thanks again for the help.

Viperguy

Old 12-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like you have a number of things wrong, but I will have to look at the wiring diagrams to be sure... I think that Tim (hanr3) was just covering those that he had answers for.

On the 4wd issue, try pulling the switch and reseating the plug. We have seen a number of 4wd issues be caused by a loose connection at either the switch itself or the TCCM which is located behind the passenger side kick panel.