2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

blazer not starting

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 12:13 AM
mykro1dj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default blazer not starting

ok i went to play in the mud for the 1st time in my 98 blazer LT 2dr/4wd with 4.3L v6...
it was great did good real good... now to the problem... it was fine all day after mudding, i went over to my dads house, turned it off bout 30 mins later left & it started right up... i drove it to my buddys house turned it off & about an hour later it stared right up... i drove it home, turned it off...about 4 hours later i went to start it & all it will do is crank :^(
it cranks but nothing it will not start... i have gas in it, i tokk out the air filter just to make sure it was not soaked or caked in mud...was a bitdamp but clean for the most part... im not to mechanically inclined so any advise i will take to heart but please any 1 any ideas please help me if u can... i just dont want my 1st time mudding in it to be my last!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Default RE: blazer not starting (4 days later)

so me & my buddy took the distributer cap off, cleaned everything made sure it was dry. we replaced the MAF censor, cleaned the entire intake & throttlebody, he checked it out & said spark plugs look good, but that we need to check all the wiring & the fuel pump, filter, & lines
but up to this point my blazer still wont start 4 days later...
please an ideas will be greatly appreciated

Old 04-08-2008, 06:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: blazer not starting (4 days later)

As suggested in MANY threads on a no-start condition, you need three things for an engine to run. Air, Fuel, and Spark. You have checked the air filter. You have checked the spark plugs and ignition system, but did you verify spark? Also, have you verified that you have the proper fuel pressure. The fuel pumps in these trucks do like to go from time to time. You will need a pressure gauge to check the fuel pressure at the fuel pressure test port on top of the engine. You are looking for 52-60psi at key on and it shouldn't drop by more than 2-3psi after you turn the key off.

Also, have a look at some of the threads in the related links menu below for more trouble shooting steps and post back up here with what you have tried and the results.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Default RE: blazer not starting

yea we checked the air filter, sometime 2day we are gunna try to put innew plugs, but as for fuel pressure i have no way to test this... do you have any idea how much it would cost to get it tested or buy the tester... & if it is the fuel pressure then what?... its the fuel pump or filter?
i was going to replace the fuel filter anyway if i do & still nothing then its probally pump?
& thx much for ur info im new to chevy & dont want my 1st blazer to "take a dump" (as my buddy said)...i came to chevy from ford because...well i dont think that needs any explanation lol but this is my 1st actual suv/truck... ive had nissans but chevy is the best & i want my chevy to do its best again thanks so much

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

is the exact tool i need to test pressure
http://www.toolsource.com/advanced_s...mp;query=58452
just to be sure so i dont buy wrong thing

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the EDIT feature to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply. Thanks!!

Old 04-08-2008, 10:59 AM

is the exact tool i need to test pressure
http://www.toolsource.com/advanced_s...mp;query=58452
just to be sure so i dont buy wrong thing

Old 04-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That tester should work. Your local NAPA, Advanced Auto, Autozone, etc should have one on the shelf for $20-$40 depending on what's included with it (adapters, etc).

As far as what could be wrong if the fuel pressure is not to spec, well that depends on the outcome of the test. Do you even hear the fuel pump turn on when you initially turn the key to the 'run' position (not start)? If not, then I would inspect the fuse for the fuel pump, and swap the relay with another relay that looks the same (horn or wipers possibly) in the underhood fuse/relay center then check that accessory for proper function (toot the horn or turn on the wipers, etc). If the fuse and the relay both check out fine and still no fuel pressure, then the next check would be to test for +12V and ground to the pump. While it is possible to remove the electrical connector to the pump without fully dropping the tank, it is quite cumbersome (aka. a real pain in the butt). If you have +12V and ground to the pump, then the problem is the pump.

On the other hand, if you have proper pressure at the fuel rail, but the pressure bleeds off, there are a few things that can cause this. #1 is a failed or leaking fuel pressure regulator under the intake plenum. Then it becomes either an external leak on the fuel supply line (obvious) or an internal leak on the supply line in the fuel tank between the pump and the connection to the external supply line (unlikely).

So you really need to know if you are getting the proper pressure at the fuel rail to know where to go with the diagnosis.

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM

WOOOOT my blazer is up & running
we checked all wires & put in new plugs & boom 1st try it started
we put it back o the obd2 & it said cylinder 3 was misfiring so we took the plug out & of coarse we cracked the porcilan & had to put the old plug back in so now it runs a bit rough but it runs 2marrow we are gonna replace the 1 old plug & hope it runs like its supposed to so i cross my fingers thanks so much for your help ill keep you posted

Old 04-09-2008, 10:20 PM

well... the wonderful luck i have just does not want me to drive this truck iguess
today i started the blazer & boom it turned off after bout 5-10 seconds
so i called up my buddy & he said same thing most of u have said in other threads about trying to give the gas tank a few bangs just to see if the truck would start & nope so i guess ill replace the fuel filter (needs to be done anyway) & get the pressure tested then ill post again but any more suggestions will be tried so please if u have anymore just let me kmow thanks

Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Wait a minute here... Does it do this consistently; start then die after a short period of time? Do you have a security light on in the instrument cluster?

Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 AM

no exacly whats going on is this... it wouldnt start for like 4 days but then we replaced the sparkplugs & checked wires & boom started 1st try...there was a code(cant remember exactly) but i do remember that it was cylinder 3 misfire...so we checked it out & we had broke the plug when we put it in so we put any old one back in then started it up again(1st try)
it still read cylinder 3 misfire... but i had to get it back home so i drove it home(a lil more then 1 mile from where it was) the next morning i went out to check out the situation...heres where it gets good lol....it started up 1st try no hesitation at all but after maybe 5-10 seconds it turned off...no there were no security lights on the dash, it didnt like bore down real bad before it turned off either it just kinda instantly cut out like i had taken out the key then would not start againit just cranks but no start its strange tho no: service engine, security, or any other lights(other than normal 1s when starting) i tried the bang on gas tank to see if maybe it will turn over real quik but nope
i am so aggravated at this point that im loosing my mind between my fiance & kid im real busy & my truck not running is such a hassle so please tell me any thing at all u can think of...
also i say a post somewhere around here abouttaking off the intake & disconnecting the MAF & putting some fuel down in the throttlebody iguess?... i was wondering if i should try this & if so how much fuel would u say to use?
sorry for saying so much but im so worried about my NEW truck(owned for almost 2months)
thanks again

Quick Reply: blazer not starting