2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 07:15 AM
Beginning Member
VONZIPPIN1K is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer shutdown

Hello, I have a few quick questions regarding my 2002 ZR2. I've owned this blazer for about 3 months now with no issues. Yesterday on the expressway when I'm almost to my exit I went to pass someone and there was nothing at the pedal. I was still able to maintain speed until the off ramp. I had 1/2 a tank and had just driven 2 hours from up north. I quickly pulled into the gas station and added fuel. So now with a full tank I began to pull out and it was stumbling bad. The power was surging on and off like it was running out of gas. I pulled into a parking lot and it died. I tried restarting it and it would turn over but no sign of firing at all. I waited 5 minutes and it almso fired but wouldn't start. Waited another 5 and it fired up and I was able to make it home. I could only give it a little gas to take off and keep speed. When flooring it it would bog really bad. I'm wondering if my fuel pump is going, or if maybe I got bad gas, but I drove it 150 miles before anything started happening. I've read quite a few different posts, but the other issues didn't seem to have quite the same issues as mine. If anyone has any ideas please let me have them! Thanks!

Old 11-23-2009, 07:51 AM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

U mentioned Expressway, Long Island Expressway? R u from the Island here..? when was the last time ya changed your fuel filter?

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
jstutzman is on a distinguished road

First thing i would do is check your fuel pressure. The pumps have a tendancy to go bad. When mine went there was no warning. My wife was comming back from work and it just shut off. My fuel filter was plugged so bad i couldnt even blow thru it. Fuel pressure check is very easy and you can rent the gauge from autozone or something. Worst case even if this in not the failure, change the fuel filter. If it is clogged, i believe it will overwork the pump and cause it to go out. They are about 6 to 7 hundred dollars for a replacment. Cheap ones from parts stores are not a very good idea but they are still 300 dollars.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member

No I am from Michigan and I was driving on I-69. I will check my fuel filter when I get home and replace it. I'm just confused because I drove all the way home with no issues then all of a sudden it would barely run and not start. Then after I waited a few it started again. I drove it around a bit today on my lunch and it seemed to be running perfectly, but I just went down the street and back. I'm afraid to go far because I don't want to get stranded and have to pay for towing. So, for now, change the fuel filter and hope for the best! Thanks guys!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:14 AM

not sure, my buddys fuel pump on his s10 truck did very similar to yours. His stayed intermittent for about a week. Then one day on the way home it finally died for good. Mine on the other hand just died with no warning. I certainly wouldnt rule anything else out if you can think of it. Fuel filters are cheap and maybe it will gentle the load on the FP and it will last a bit. Even if it dont fix your problem, it probably still wouldnt hurt to change it. Good luck and hopefully it turns out to be something simple. There are some guys on here that are very very good at these trucks but it may take a bit to get some responses. I have found that if you post all your symptoms and thoughts you may get more responses.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Beginning Member

Well i got the fuel filter replaced no problem at all, took about an hour. So I went for a short drive and it still isn't running right. There just isn't any power at all, it feels as if I have the parking brake on, or like riding a snowmobile that is all loaded up. I'm going to check the fuel pressure next. I'm starting to think that it is my pump going out. Symptoms sound familiar to anyone?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Beginning Member

So I'm trying to find a DIY thread for the fuel pump replacement, but I don't see it. Do you have to remove the gas tank to replace the pump?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member
mastergrader007 is an unknown quantity at this point

yup. i just finished doing mine. its not too bad as long as your 2 tank straps arent rusted to ****. be careful when you drop the tank, i would suggest dropping the tank almost all the way, then unhooking your fuel lines and the 2 plugs on the sending unit, then go ahead and drop the tank the rest of the way down. Mine also had a small hose and nipple at the front end of the tank that i didnt notice and i ended up snapping the nipple on mine so watch out for it. I jimmy'd it back on tho

Old 11-24-2009, 08:02 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Von zippin- someone just posted the other day somewhat the same problem, they said their mass air flow was bad .. try opening the tubes remove the massairflow sensor and try cleaning it with carb spray or spray injector cleaner be careful of the little wire insiode the of it though its very fragile to force... clean it out really good and see if that helps..spray it onto a white rag, so you can see if anything comes off the sensor wires.. Hope this helps ya out.. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:39 PM

Sorry to hear that your blazer is still broke. I would check your fuel pressure before tearing into the tank to get the pump out. There may be some other explanations. There is a little schrader valve near where the fuel lines attach at the top of the engine. Just trace your fuel lines back and you will see the valve. I just replaced my pump about 6 months ago. The hardest part of the job for me was getting the stupid fill and vent hoses off the tank. If you do the job, be careful as to not damage that vent hose, because i had a very hard time finding fuel hose that large. I lost my temper and cut it, then spent an entire day trying to find fuel hose that large. Like the guy above said, be careful with that connector up front and i placed a piece of plywood under my floor jack and lowered the tank down slowly until i could reach the connectors good and then released them. Good luck, keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Blazer shutdown