2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer starter trying to start with no key

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer starter trying to start with no key

My 2001 blazer starts fine, but once it starts the starter will not disengage. In fact when I turn the car off the starter can be heard starting the car again (or at least trying) and when I popped the hood I saw one of the belts stilling trying to move along, this happened until the battery eventually died.

This has only started happening since I did some transmission work (replaced the shift solenoids) and had to unplug three wires from the harness on the side to drop the pan. I bring this up since if I start the car, and shift into Reverse the starter turns off and I can then shift to Park and turn off the car. If I shift to Neutral first I hear a grinding and then the starter will turn off and I can once again shift to park and turn off the car.

From what little research I did it can be my starter is bad and needs to be replaced, or the Park/Neutral switch has a short. I believe the P/N switch was not plugged in the harness since I've had the car because when we dropped the pan it there was already a cable unplugged and the previous owner had it zip tied to the frame.

The P/N switch should be easy to just unplug again, just not sure witch wire is witch on the harness and am slightly afraid I'll unplug the wrong one since one had to be jammed in with a crow bar (the harness is broken).

Has any had this problem or have any idea what is going on?

Old 07-13-2016, 02:15 PM
Starting Member

Brought the blazer to a guy who has a lift and unplugged all of the wires one at a time to see if the P/N switch was creating some unusual ark, but to no avail. I also had another guy take the starter off then have me try to start the car, and the starter just kept spinning until I shifted into reverse at which point the starter turned off.

Another guy is telling me it may have something to do with the passkey, is there an easy way to test this and how would I go about fixing it?

Old 07-13-2016, 03:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start testing at the ignition switch to see if it has fused the start circuit together. There is a link in my signature below that goes through the guts of the switch and has wiring diagrams that will help you determine whether the switch itself is at fault without doing much disassembly. You only have to pull the knee bolster off under the steering column and disconnect the large wiring connector. From there you can test continuity on the start circuit.

Let us know the results of your test and if inconclusive, we can move on from there down the line.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:12 PM
Starting Member
Default Solution

Forgot about this post. I got the problem fixed a while back, but just in case someone else has this problem and stumbles across this thread.

Took the car to college with me and started find odd parts laying around as I was cleaning it. Weird boxes with a bunch of wires, ran the brand and it was a company that makes remote starters. So out of curiosity I had the local shop look at my car and what do you know, the remote starter had a short! $25 later and they removed it for me and the problem was fixed.

I will never put a remote starter in my car, or any future car period because of this. Too much of a hassle!