2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:21 AM
JonSDSU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer Starting Issues

Hey guys, I'm new to the site and havea problem with my 95 Blazer. When I turn the key and start it, the ignition cranks but it does not start all the time. I can literally hold the key down and it will crank for as long as I hold it but it will just not start. This occurs sporadically whether its a cold or hot start. Any help will be greatly appreciated as I am planning a road trip soon and want my blazer to be in good shape before I leave, THANKS!

Old 01-10-2008, 12:55 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Blazer Starting Issues

You'll need to check it when it's not starting to see if it's getting fuel and spark.

You can also get it checked to see if it has a stored code P0338 in it, if it does it needs a new crank position sensor.

Just a couple of thoughts...

Old 01-11-2008, 12:19 AM
JonSDSU is an unknown quantity at this point

How would I go about checking to see if its sparkingand getting fuel?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm surprised nobody's answered this question.

"Spark" means check the electrical system. Check the battery, spark plugs and wires, and distributor. If it's been more than 60K miles since you changed your spark plugs and wires, just replace them anyway. However, if you have a faulty plug or wire, AND you have the ODB-II system, it will throw a P300-306 code, depending on which one it is. If your SES light isn't on, then chances are that that's not the problem (unless your SES light bulb is blown). The other possibility is that your truck has the OBD-I system ('95s and older), in which case the error code it gives you, if any, may be different.

The other thing is fuel pressure. The best way to check this is to buy a fuel pressure gauge, attach it to the Schrader valve, and run the routine tests. If you can get the truck to crank, then test the pressure with it both on and off. If the readings are good, then the problem is not originating from the fuel pump/line/filter/regulator.

I am actually in the process of troubleshooting the same problem with my truck. Fuel pressure was good, and it's got a new fuel filter, battery, plugs, wires, and distributor cap. The next things I was going to check were the ignition switch and starter, but I will also take Chevy Lover's advice and check the crank position sensor. In fact, I think I will replace that first.

For more information on the above things, use the SEARCH feature for how-tos and advice. Good luck.