2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blew out my rear end :( need advice PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:01 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

With the big tires, 4.10 would be the way to go no doubt. If the funds are tight, just go with what works, keep the 4WD and do it later. Find a good posi . My rear went out in my 2500 earlier this year. I went with a longer turn ratio to save on gas. But its a 2WD, no front end to have to match. Good luck bud!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Starting Member
CenTexBiker is on a distinguished road

my 2 cents

if the rear is trashed after you open it up, buy the 250 dollar special.

Don't swap out and put on your drums. you will have better stopping power with the disc brakes

you do not have to take off the front drive shaft as long as you DO NOT engage four wheel drive ( transfer does not engage the front shaft)

later when you have the funds, you can then switch out the gear sets in front and back... it isn't that difficult ( I did mine on my driveway) will run about 250 per axle

like I said just my 2 cents

Old 10-06-2011, 06:58 AM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road

So.... just

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Starting Member

So.... just thought I would update you guys (and gals)! The "250 special" is an exact match to my front end but it had disc brakes. I'm going that route and doing the drum to disc conversion.... I'm not even going to look into my old diff until its OUT and the new one is in! I wanted rear disc anyways and i plan to build the broken rear end while its out. ( since ill have a spare to play with!) Always got to look at the glass half full Blazer Owners!!!

On that note, any warning signs I should look for on this "new" rear end?? Internal or outernal?

Old 10-06-2011, 07:10 AM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Obviously pay attention to leaks, pull the inspection plug to make sure it's full of fluid and that the fluid isn't full of metal shavings, etc.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
Starting Member

Thanks for the input aand info....

Old 10-06-2011, 10:59 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Definatly inspect for metal shavings. If there is no drain plug you might have to pull off the diff cover if the guy will let you. Then you can see the gear teeth too. You're going to want to do a fluid change before you put it in too. I'm sure you're already planning on that. Good luck!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:58 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

Yeah definitely pull that cover off and look real good, Also turn the axle and look for any un-eveness in the turning of the gears.

And beware of the smell of 90w... don't get it onto any clothing, its will take like 5 washes to get out. I laid in some with my favorite hoodie... it was not fun.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:55 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Pop it open and look closely. edit: Dont forget to clean off the magnet! If there is one...

Last edited by FsTFwRd; 10-06-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Starting Member
Talking

Well, I got good news and bad news, lets start with the bad...

The guy is not answering my calls, text, emails, etc on the $250 special (with the disc brakes). So I'm guessing that's a no go.... actually my guess is, there is something wrong with the internals of the diff, axle shafts, etc and he got scared once he realized I had SOME knowledge of the 'Blaze' and her parts. I have a feeling he was just trying to get someone to buy it and haul tail - not looking back (or in this case, looking in )... could be wrong, but after speaking with him last night that seemed like his initial intentions....

EDIT!!!*** - the guy works night shift and has been "sleeping all day" - he said no problem on dismantling it and picking it up tomorrow! Read on though, I think the next option is better in every way!

All of that being said, I found another at none other than my FAVORITE junkyard! No names, no names.... I called and asked if he had the axle/diff for my truck and yes, they had one out of the SAME YEAR Blazer with the correct gear ratio AND drum brakes! (3.42) My immediate thought(s) was, "oh hell, here comes the $350 price tag!". Nope, I was wrong... he said $250 - SAME PRICE as the other guy, without having to pull it myself AND mess with all the brake swap stuff! Obviously he said he would need a small deposit tomorrow to know for sure I was coming back for it later in the afternoon, I told him that was no problem at all and that he'd get the rest when I get back and inspect/purchase the item... I think I'm going with this option, seeing as it has lower mileage on the axle, the brake issue AND they offer a 30 day return policy!!! Probably not available with the other fella huh?!

I say ALL of that to say THIS.... I actually kind of wanted the rear disc brakes after thinking and talking about it with you guys! But whatever, I really don't have the extra cash (especially after buying this axle!) to do the conversion right now and I'll still have my old axle to play/experiment with! I think I'll buy the "bolt right up" one from the junk yard for now and over time add the rotors, gears (4.10's), etc to the current broken one - while it's out of the truck. I'll eventually buy the 4.10's for the front and yet again, do another swap. Then I'll have my disc brakes AND matching gear ratios! YAY!

PS: I WILL do an inspection on the one from the junkyard as well, I'm actually going to ask the guy when I drop off the deposit if he can already have the cover(s) off when I come back to pick it up. That way I can look, be happy (hopefully) and replace this damn thing this weekend!

What do yall think???

Quick Reply: Blew out my rear end :( need advice PLEASE!