2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blonde with a misbehaving blazer

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 01:16 PM
Jenni4 is on a distinguished road
Default Blonde with a misbehaving blazer

So.... 2001, 2 door, 4wd blazer. Parked on incline at bank and when got back in it wouldn't start. acted like wanted to but just didn't. the boyfriend came to my rescue and after some trouble shooting we put some gas in it to see what happens.. oh it starts right up. It wasn't out of gas though. the light wasn't on and I had at worst 1/8 tank left. been fine since. Today parked on incline and same thing. won't start but acts like it want to....at this point we think something is clogging something . we push it to flat surface. same thing... won't start. so jump on bumper to slosh things around. won't start. mope around apartment for 10 mins and give one last try... it starts!!!! YaY!!! this time I had over 1/2 tank full.

What in the world is going on! I want to get a clue before I resort to taking it to mechanic on Monday. is this just a simple fuel filter that need replaced? or a (shudder) fuel pump? or something different. I'd like to figure out if something the boy toy and I can do. He is somewhat mechanically inclined. me not at all but I have the heart and no money....

Old 11-30-2013, 01:55 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I would change fuel filter and see if theres any improvement,If not I suspect the fuel pump maybe getting weak.

Old 11-30-2013, 04:05 PM
burned is on a distinguished road

Yes change the fuel filter, do a fuel pressure and leak down test, and also check the condition of the fuel pump ground.

Old 12-02-2013, 09:35 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

Okay...1/8 tank of gas, parked on incline...fuel pump sucked air and probably any "gunk" that it could. Hopefully the fuel filter caught it all, but not it may be so clogged-up that not enough fuel is getting to the engine....or the fuel pump pick-up "sock" is clogged-up.

Fuel filter change is a bit of a pain; have to be careful with the fuel line fittings...use a flare nut wrench or you'll be in real trouble. Spray lube onto the threads and let soak for a bit before trying to get them loose. Relieve fuel pressure before putting wrench to fuel line fittings by pressing scharder valve on backside of intake where fuel lines are.

Still may need to drop fuel tank and clean fuel pump "sock"; actually just replace it....they are cheap.

Couple of things to know before dropping fuel tank. Let us know what you find out and if fuel tank drop is required, will fill you in on those hints.

Good luck.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:17 AM
00blazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I have that same problem I have a 00 2dr 4wd the fuel pump is dead center in the tank. I have a new pump and filter when I changed the tank and still gives me the same problem. its just the location of the pump in the tank

Old 12-04-2013, 07:33 PM
odat will become famous soon enough

I'm sure you knew you had fuel BUT remember these are blazers just because gauge says there is fuel in tank dosen't mean there is