2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blower Noise on Max AC

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Beginning Member
Joshua1023 is on a distinguished road
Default Blower Noise on Max AC

I have a 2000 Jimmy SLT,

My blower always makes a mild, barely noticeable, "ticking" sound when you turn on the heat and on standard AC. When you turn the control to "Max AC" it gets noticeably louder. The ticking speeds up in conjunction w/ the speed of the fan.

My assumption is that the bearing on the fan is going, but I would love a second opinion before I drop $75 on a Delphi fan. Any chance this would be caused by the resistor, or something I haven't even thought of?

Has anyone found that there are better fan options than others for longevity and quite operation?

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Old 05-24-2012, 08:55 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Back in the day we use to carefully drill a small hole on the outside of the blower motor (top) case @ the rear bearing as a rule the one that goes out & oil it or force some light grease in the hole then take some A/C putty & plug the hole. Believe it or not my blower motor on my 98 is the same design as the one that was on my 79 CK20 truck.
But getting to the motor is the job I believe. It appears on my 98 someone cut the A/C Heater housing so the blower motor was able to be removed by just unscrewing it from under the hood. It must of been done when the heater core was replaced. My mechanic who worked for a GM dealer for several years noticed it & said that was a real smart move on who ever thought to do that.
Any comments I would appreciate not to hi jack the thread but to know who else thought of that.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member

I know its not a big deal to get to the motor on these trucks. I think maybe an hour. More than likely I will open her up just to see what I can see.

Anyone know if there is a way to test the resistor?

Old 05-28-2012, 05:03 AM
Beginning Member

I'm gonna change out the motor this week and see if that is the ticket. I went for the first semi long ride in the truck since I bought it and it turns out the noise stops every once in a while and then kicks back in after a while.

This is gonna be a silly question, but what is the difference between automatic climate control and manual? It sounds like automatic ought to be a digital temperature selection where you can actually set the degrees. Mine has the standard ***** to select direction, temperature, and volume of air. I assume I have the manual. Is that correct.

Thanks,

Josh

Old 05-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

In terms of what you can see when sitting in the driver seat... If you have a red & blue line around the temperature ****, you have manual climate control. If there are numbers, you have automatic climate control. The actual differences in terms of controls, etc. are MUCH more than that.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member

Hey thanks. I have manual then. Apparently it makes a difference when ordering the blower motor.