2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blower or Relay problem???

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Beginning Member
Izzy207 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Blower or Relay problem???

I have a 1999 Blazer for about 4 years now. The problem that I have encountered is that I lost the first and second levels of how much the blower pushes out. Only the third and fourth work. Is this usually a problem with the blower or the relay? If it is the relays does anyone know how much it is to replace? And if it is the blower how much work is it to replace and to buy another?

Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the switch is bad. If the blower resistor goes bad you normally loose all speeds except high.
Maybe someone here can tell you if it is possible for a bad resistor to leave you with 3rd & high speed only.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:06 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Most likely it's the resistor switch. My parents voyager just had the same problem, lost all but the top speed. The mechanic told me about it. The lower speeds are the fan blowing the hot air in the car. The top speed is the blower. So if you have the top speed, the blower should be fine. You say you have 3 and 4 though? Could it maybe something with the switch in the cab of the truck? Maybe it's different. The only way to get to the resistor is to cut away at the heater box under the hood. Mine is up in the left hand passenger side and it is labeled "cut here for service". Don't believe it's very expensive, but don't my work for it.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 PM
mads_breum is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if you found a solution? I have the exact same problem with my 1998 Blazer - the fan only works on settings 3 and 4 nothing happens in 1 and 2.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mads_breum
Just wondering if you found a solution? I have the exact same problem with my 1998 Blazer - the fan only works on settings 3 and 4 nothing happens in 1 and 2.
As was said this is usually caused by a bad blower switch.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Could be the switch and it could be the resistor. It's not the blower or the relay if ot works anything like the earlier models (and it is probably wired just the same). get access to the switch OR the resistor whichever is easier. Turn your switch to M1 (what you're calling Position 2)and see if you have output to the relay (probably a Dk Blu wire. This wire feeds the relay from the resistor in all modes except Hi. You probably don't. If you backtrack it'll be a Tan wire from the switch to the resistor. Turn the switch to M2 (or Position 3) and you should get voltage at the Dk Blu wire at the relay. If this is the case then you just have to determine if the switch is burnt up or a couple of resistors in the resistor pack. If you have output from the switch on the Tan wire I would say it's the resistor. I don't know about cutting stuff but I'm not sure about that late a nodel. You say it works in Hi. When you put it in Hi it actually draws power from a different source and at the relay the Orange wire and Red will be the only hot ones (and of course the purple wire to the blower). The Dk Blu wire will be out of the system. Hope this helps not confuses. If you had a wiring diagram it would really help yopu out.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:43 PM
mads_breum is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice. The problem turned out to be the resistor - just put a new one in and now the blower works at all speeds.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
barbie is on a distinguished road

My ac doesnt work at all.At first it was blowing great but then it started to cut off then turn back on and the next day it just shut off compeatly.I let some people look at it some people say it's the blower or relay then someone else say the motor.I need someone to give me the exact answer to what it is asap.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Well... To give you an exact answer, we need more information. What, specifically, started to cut out? The blower motor, as in the air flow stopped or started to get intermittent then stopped all together? If so, then does it work on some speed settings and not others?

Old 09-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
nxsmstng is on a distinguished road

hey everyone,
I have a 98 blazer zr2 i love it but what a PITA! I dont have any speed working. all fuses are good, tried a relay, resistor, and a switch, and nothing. i jumped the motor and it worked great, so i know the motor is fine, i also jumped it from the connector that goes to the switch and it worked in all speeds. my questions is, could it have something to do with the accessories tied into the ignition, because when you turn the key, the blower motor kicks on if you have it on obviously. i dont know whats going on here?

Quick Reply: Blower or Relay problem???