2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blowing Fuel Pump relays

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 10:51 AM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blowing Fuel Pump relays

Ok, I went to start my car yesterday morning to go to work and it cranked and turned over, but no start. I listened for the fuel pump whirring sound, and nothing. So last night I checked the fuse, the relay, the relay connection, etc. and eventually confirmed it was the relay. I bought a new relay, put it in, ran fine all last night driving around town doing errands, more than one start.
Here is the trouble, it happened again this morning, no fuel pump. Could anyone give me ideas on where to start looking or testing to find out why the Blazer is killing fuel pump relays overnight? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have to drive this thing back to school in 3 days.
The funny thing is when I went to the parts store last night, there was another person in there at the same time who had the same problem on his 2000.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:51 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Blowing Fuel Pump relays..help please

Update: Again, problems happen at the worst time, and I needed the car back in 2 days to get back to school, and I was working both of the days before I needed to leave, so I ended up taking it to the dealership again. The fuel pump (stock, 130K mi) was "going and was shorting out causing the fuel pump relay's to blow"-quoting the dealership. I think it was just pulling too many amps on the cold mornings. Anyways, $700 later I have a new pump, with a lifetime warranty on parts and labor. Most of that is labor, 4.5 hours for the fuel filter and pump.
-Just thought I would update in case anyone has this problem in the future.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blowing Fuel Pump relays..help please

That sucks about having to take it to the dealership, but atleast you got it fixed in time.