2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake line busted

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 09:03 PM
NewBlazerDude is on a distinguished road
Question brake line busted

Hey guys, new member with a 1998 4D LT Blazer 4x4.

As the title suggests, I had a metal brake line bust on me. its the one that goes from the ABS to the rear brakes, and the trouble spot is along the frame rail under the drivers side door. i was wondering if it would be easier to cut out the bad spot and replace the line with it still on the truck, or to take it off?

anyone whos had to do this please chime in, any advice to get this thing goin again is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It would definitely be easier to replace the line with it in there. Just get yourself a small tube cutter and find some good tubing to cut at. Then get a flaring tool and flare the ends in preparation for the unions and new piece of tubing.

If you are not into the whole flaring aspect of things or if you run into problems flaring the old tubing, then you may have to run a new line all the way back. A few long lengths of brake line from Napa should get you there.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:22 AM
Biohazed is on a distinguished road

I would personally run a whole new line. I've done many lines on our plow trucks at work and one thing I've noticed is you patch up one section you could definatly start leaking at another section that previously was not leaking, so I've found it safer to just replace the entire line to begin with. Heres a tip for ya on how to get the length you need for your new replacement line, take the old one off fully and take some string and tape the string to every bend in that line so the string runs down the length of the old line then cut the string at the end remove the string then measure the string in a straight line, however I usually add a foot or so for error.