Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Having Startup Issues and a busted brake line

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:11 PM
CodyT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Having Startup Issues and a busted brake line

Hey there everyone I just bought a 1993 S-10 Blazer and am allready having some issues with it. First off I'm having issues with start-up. The vehicle starts fine when it's cold but as soon as it gets up to around 170+ degrees it dosen't want to start up. It makes a sound when you turn the key like it wants to turn over but then it dies out. I was thinking the solenoid on the starter is going out but I'm not completley sure. Second problem I have is a section of my brake line busted on the drivers side. Was washing it yesterday and noticed a leak so i hoped under it and saw that part of the line was almost solid rust and leaking fluid like crazy. Rust extends from about halfway under the door up to a small block around the wheel which I'm thinking is connected to the brakes (Couldn't see it only feel it). I was gonna take and cut that section of pipe off tomorrow and put in a new piece with some compression clamps. If anyone has a better idea of how to fix just that section I'd be more than willing to take some advice. Sorry if any thing i said here makes me sound like an idiot but I'm more of a budding backyard mechanic than anything and any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:42 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Having Startup Issues and a busted brake line

Your post makes sense.
It does sound like the solenoid on your starter is weak. You can probably replace the complete starter for a reasonable price.
I would try to replace the brake line from fitting to fitting.

You said a "block around the wheel" Is that on the inside of the wheel? If it is it's the wheel cylinder.
There is a "T" block fitting on the rear axle. Usually the brake line comes from a block below the master cylinder, down the frame, accross to the rear axle and then to each wheel from there.
Don't forget to bleed the brakes when it's fixed.

Let us know how you make out.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:34 AM
88_Blaze4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea sounds like starter solenoid, but i wouldnt use a compression fitting there very unsafe and illegal to use in most places. i would relfare the cut line and put a new fitting and use a union fitting and put it together that way, then you know its safe and have no problems. or if the line is ashort line then just replace the whole line. thats just my 2 cents

Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM

(Never mind)

Old 02-10-2008, 07:55 PM

Hey there guys I had another question for yall and I didn't want to clutter up the boards with another topic so here goes. Back when i first got the Blazer i went over to Autozone because my battery looked too small for the truck. I asked them about this and found out that a 93' S10 Blazer needs a battery with 630 cold cranking amps, my old battery only had about 525/552(can't remember which). I bought a new battery(titanium something) that they said would work in it, thing is it has 770 CCA.(Don't worry I am going somewhere witht his) My question to you all is could having switched from an underpowered battery, which could have overworked parts, to a battery with much more power have caused things to fail, such as the starter solenoid, etc? Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I like to figure out how to fix the problem as well as what caused it.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it. The CCA rating is just that, a rating. Accessories will use as much power as they require given an unlimited source. If the source is limited, then they get what they get. The starter is the highest draw device on your truck. If it started with the 525CCA battery, it didn't hurt anything.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:53 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

FYI, the stock battery in a "new" s-series is rated at 650CCA...

Anywho, check and make sure your battery connections are good as well...

But it's most likely the solenoid... It's 15 years old, after all

Old 02-11-2008, 08:09 PM

Yea i changed out the posts completley on the battery to make sure there was nothing wrong with them. I don't think that I'ma put it in a shop, I found a guy with a nice garage right down the road that's gonna do it for cheap. Thanks for all your help guys.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 AM

Hey there eveerybody just giving a little update. Found a loose wire on the starter solenoid that when I moved it off the frame and tightened up a little bolt, was fine, starts up everytime now. The brakeline was also an easy fix. Went to Auto Zone, got some compression fittings and some 1/4" line and cut the old line a little past the first bend from the ABS and just routed it down next to the master cylinder. Overall it brakes better than before and runs better than before, thanks for everyone's advice.