2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member
norteno is on a distinguished road
Default brake lines

I have 1997 Blazer 4X4LT. Had to slam on brakes and burst brake line going to rear wheel driver side around back door area. Is there a way to remove/replace this brake line?? It looks tucked up on top of frame rail and very hard to get to. Also have ABS. Can they be bled like non-ABS brakes?? Thanks for any help. I've bended brake lines in the past, but not flared any lines. My concern is getting to to the old line. Thanks again.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:32 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 97 Jimmy that I stole had a good thing going for it: someone had already had to deal with this issue! What they did is leave the old line in place and spliced in all new lines to both sides rear at the failure point with a compression fitting.How they got a tubing cutter in there is beyond me-even my mini cutter doesn't look like it would fit. Maybe work forward to where one can access the line easily??? If you have bent line,you can most assuredly flare line,just need the tool. ABS bleeding is done the same as any brake system:start at the furthest point from the master cylinder and work towards it:RR,LR,RF,LF! Good luck!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

yeah just leave that crusty ol line where its at. you can break off whatever you can get at if you want. if all possible if it didnt already happen, try to keep your master cylinder full, that way no air gets in there.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:39 PM
1999blazerowner is on a distinguished road

had the same thing happen to me last month looked under there and said no way had my local mechanic do it 115.00 parts and labor worked for me

Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

double flare Brake lines

Old 01-01-2012, 12:36 AM
Starting Member
crunch691 is on a distinguished road
Default Buy quality brake line

Rust resistant and make sure u make sure to get all the moisture outta line when bleeding by pumping the brakes up and lettign the fluid out till its clean

Old 03-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Beginning Member
Zach_99Blazer is on a distinguished road

This just happened to me. Any recommendations? 99, fair amount of rust underneath.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Bend 'em up, install them and bleed. Don't use compression fittings. They are designed for use with copper, brass, aluminum or plastic tubing and are only rated to a working pressure of 500psi. Automotive hydraulic brake systems commonly see 2000 psi. Use inverted flare fittings only.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:21 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Had to do it a couple times now. Buy a 1/4" inverted flare plug to plug the line at the connection in the front wheel well. Pull the line from the union in the front fender to the rear flex line. It is held in by plastic clips along the top of the frame rail. Use the old one as a template to make a new one. If your rear flex hose hasn't been replaced in the past, now is a good time to do it.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Beginning Member
kcb37 is on a distinguished road

Have not replaced lines on a Blazer but did on my 96 Silverado.
What I did was cut the old line infront of the firewall, then pulled it out the back of the truck.
Put a vacuum cap over the end of the new line, and unrolled and threaded it between the tank up the frame. Got to the front bent/flared it. Cut and bent the rear.

When you flare them make sure you use a 45degree flare and double flare the line.

Quick Reply: brake lines