2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake problem from bad tie rod?help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:12 AM
Beginning Member
bearsfaninwisc is on a distinguished road
Default brake problem from bad tie rod?help please!

Hi all new to the forum glad I found you guys,anyways to my brake problem.I have a 2001 blazer with 4x4 and when I bought it I noticed a vibration from the passenger side when using the brakes and figured it was the rotors for sure.She was shaking pretty bad at 55mph or above when using the brakes.I replaced the rotors and pads.Well the shaking got a little better but still there,I figured maybe they need to seat,well It has been 3 weeks and the shaking is back just as bad as before.

I have lifted her up again to inspect better and do notice that the wheel will slightly move left and right when I try to wiggle it back and forth but no 12 and 6oclock wiggle.I am thinking tie rod but never had a tie rod cause shaking while using the brakes.The outter tie rod boot is torn and like I said there is movement from left to right or 3 and 6 oclock,so do you guys think the tie rod could be causing the shaking?I know I will be replacing the outter tie rod on the passenger side,and that is where the shaking is definately coming from.Just not sure if it is the only reason why she is shaking when braking.

Also the abs light is on I was thinking maybe this could be the culprit but I figured it just meant I have no abs right now until I replace the sensor or clean it.I am not sure, I have read that sometime a faulty abs sensor can cause the caliper not to apply the right amount of pressure but if the rotors are new then why would it still shake?I am baffled by this.

My buddy insists this is happening because of the tie rod but I am not sure a tie rod could cause shaking when using the brakes.I just do not want to sit here and guess and start replacing parts for no reason.Any help or suggestions would be helpfull!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:19 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you need to take it to a shop & have a professional check your front end. It could be tie rod ends, could be idler arm, it could be ball joints. With the info you gave all any of us can do is guess.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:26 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply.I know all that anyone can do is guess just thought that maybe someone else had this problem due to bad tie rod ends.Probably will take her in to get a inspection done,but I have had alot of shops tell me bad info before just to get buisness.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM
blazerls1999 is on a distinguished road

sounds like it could be the idler arm

Old 08-28-2010, 11:01 AM
Beginning Member

thanks for the response,I have came to the conclusion after getting under neith her again and had someone move the steering wheel back and forth while looking and feeling everything and was able to pin point the movement to the piman arm,not the tierods like my buddy swore it was.

I can actually hear it making like a click sound as the steering wheel is being moved and was able to pinpoint the noise by feeling the clicking through the stabaliser bar all the way to the pitman arm.

I am just wonder what your guys opinion is on will a shot pitman arm cause your brakes to shake?I am going to take of the new rotor today and take it back to auto zone and get a replacemnt just incase.Like I stated earlier,the shaking is coming from the passenger side some at low speeds but bad at 40mph or higher.I just find it hard to believe that a pitman arm could cause such shaking,exspecially from the passenger side,I would think that if it was from the pitman arm wouldnt it be real loose steering and sway side to side and shake from right to left not just on the left side?Any help would be awesome!This problem is driving me crazy.....

Never before have I ran into such a problem with doing brakes,if it shaked or pulsated 100 outta 100 times it has been the rotors,not this time though,so far,will know more after replacing the passenger side with a new one.

Oh ya forgot to mention that I disconected the abs just to rule out that this was the problem.Also the wheels chirp when turning a corner.I know I need an alignment but want to wait till I get the shaking fixed from braking first.