2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake problem, possibly ABS sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Kellen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default brake problem, possibly ABS sensor

I've got a couple of problems with my blazer, maybe you guys could give me some thoughts on.

First is the nagging brake problem. It has had a pretty squishy brake pedal since I got it. You have to push it down a few inches and with a little force to get the brakes to engage. Not really that big a deal, but a bit of an annoyance. In the last month it got new front brake pads and a brand new master cylinder. Rotors were good and rear drums are almost new. Didn't do anything to fix the squishy brakes though, so whatever. But the problem that persists is the ABS problem. In any kind of slippery condition, even a little rain water on the road, when I put the brakes on the ABS comes on IMMEDIATELY. I mean even rolling up to a stop sign at 40 km/h. I can't even really slow the car down much without the abs coming on. In the snow, it's ****ing awful. Same problem. There is no play at all, it's almost brakes not on, or ABS on. There is no in between. Like I said, even coming up to a stop sign going slowly, I can't slow the truck at all without the ABS coming on. I just had it in to Midas today to have them check it out and they said they couldn't find anything. The only thing they told me was to bring it in when it's raining, they can hook it up to the diagnostic equipment and see if one of the ABS sensors is ****ed, but they can't test it unless it's doing it. So I don't know. I thought maybe it had something to do with the amount of force and how much pedal play there is making the ABS come on, like how i have to press the pedal down so hard all the time, maybe it was tricking the ABS to come on, but I guess maybe that could have something to do with the ABS sensor as well. Or if I pulled the fuse and went out in the rain and instead of the ABS coming on, the brakes just locked right up when I applied the brakes and tried to slow down? What would that indicate? Because last winter I pulled the fuse and I think the brakes just locked up immediately. Any thought on this? I'm sick of spending ****ing money everytime I get it looked at with no results.

Sorry for the ****ty worded disorganized post, I suck at these.

It's a 1995 4WD.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:16 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: brake problem, possibly ABS sensor

Your post was fine.
You might want to check the front wheel sensors and reluctors for dirt or rust. Sometimes all it takes is a little cleaning.
It's also important to use good quality semi-mettalic brake pads.
I've found that non mettalic brake pads give a "squishy" pedal.
If everything seems to be good, then it might need a good brake fluid flush and bleed.

Old 01-11-2008, 12:29 PM
Beginning Member
ESKYMOPACK is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a recall on that ABS system. My 95 Jimmy got me in an accident becasue of this same problem. Waiting to find out from GM what they can do for me. Look under recalls, cause I'm not sure of the number.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM
greenlantern77 is an unknown quantity at this point

where / how do you get to the sensors to clean them off and whats the best way to clean them off?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:58 AM

bump

Old 10-23-2008, 02:26 PM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Your problemcan be traced back to theABS Hydraulic Assembly (EHCU or Electro-mechanical Hydraulic Control Unit) or sometimes called the ABS pump for 4WAL brakes. Your problem is not the same as mine however the source of both problems is the same.

My 91 S10 Blazer SUV has 4WAL brakes and it is in theshop now and has been there for three days. Thetechnicians and $5,000 worth of scanning equipment cannot get any brake pedal. They bled and flushed the whole system three times, including the EHCU. I am quite sure the problem is a dump-valve in theEHCU is stuck but I am not going to tell them to replace the EHCU.If I tell to replace the ECHU and that does not fix the problem, they are off the hook and I am out $400.00(Raybestos ABS540018..$700.00 less $300.00 core exchange).The high price paid for your oldEHCUmeans Raybestosneeds as many of thosethey can getso they canrebuild them. I suppose people that have ABS brake problems convert back to standard brakes and toss the $300.00 EHCU in the trash. I wonder if a person could pick upthose EHCUinsalvage yards, take them to NAPA and get $300.00 each for them?

Anyway, in my case, the "dump-valve" in theEHCU is stuck with a small amount of rust. Thatwill appear exactlythe same as aby-passing master cylinder exceptwhen the pedal goes to the floor, no ABS warning light is lit. If that happens, and no ABS light appears, it indicatesa stuck dump-valve in the EHCU.No ABS warning light, and tomake the condition more elusive, a dump-valve malfunctionwill NOTshow up onscan tools becausethe limited diagnostics in the system cannot tell if the dump valve is fully closed or not. However, it can bepositivelydetermined if it is the dump-valve is stuck by blocking the outlet port on the EHCU then apply pressure to the brake pedal to see if the pedal drops.If the pedal drops, the EHCU valve is leaking fluid into the accumulator and the whole damned EHCUmust be replaced.

I learned the hard way that itis important to flush the ABS brake system,including the EHCU, at least once every two years.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 AM

where / how do you get to the sensors to clean them off and whats the best way to clean them off?