2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 AM
Beginning Member
paxlineman is on a distinguished road
Default brakes

ok i replaced the front pads and rotors on my blazer. this is the first time doing it myself. after i took it for a drive and it drives fine but i smelled brakes real bad. also when i first got in my brake pedal went to the floor but it came right back and is fine now. is all this normal. i did not disconnect the caliper at all and the caliper pressed in no problem so i think they are ok. any help on this would be great. is this all normal.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Did you clean and re-lube the caliper pins (sliders)? If not, it is quite likely that the calipers cannot float like they are supposed to.

About the pedal going to the floor, this is normal when pushing the pistons back into the calipers. The brake master cylinder only puts out a small amount of fluid when pressed. Whenever you do a brake job, you should pump the brakes up prior to putting the vehicle into gear to take up the space between the piston and the pad as well as the pad and the rotor.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member
paxlineman is on a distinguished road

yeah i did take the sliders out cleaned them off and then used a high heat lubricant on them. the calipers did slide around easily after.
ok yeah i did pump it once the pedal went to the floor.
thanks for the help and info. if the smell does not go away by monday i will pull it apart and check everything again. is there a kind of break in time or anything?

Old 07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Most newer pads have a break in layer that may cause a lot of heat to bed the brakes in. So yeah, if the smell does not go away, then you may have an issue, but if it does, then it is likely normal.