Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   Budget build! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/budget-build-62495/)

kristoph30 08-27-2011 09:39 AM

Referencing the 350 swap. Can that be EPA compliant? Just wondering. If the truck is driven where E-check is required, would it pass?

TheRandom1 08-27-2011 09:41 AM

Not sure what E-check is, but from what I've found out when I researched it, in any engine swap of a larger motor (4.3 to 5.7 for example) the new motor has to be newer than the old one. So you can't be "legal" if you drop a 5.7 out of your 85 Camaro into your 00 Blazer for example. But if you put a 5.7 out of a 00 truck into your 96 Blazer it'd be legal. That's here in IL, I imagine it's about the same as anywhere else except California.

kristoph30 08-27-2011 10:17 AM

In Ohio, if you have OBD-II they plug in to the data port, visually inspect that the cat is still there and test the gas cap to be sure it holds pressure.

If the SES light fails to light on start up or there is a code. The vehicle fails.

They never raise the hood so they dont know what motor is in it.

pettyfog 08-27-2011 10:30 AM

All Ohio cared about when we still had it was that the car passed emissions for its year and model. And had no Check engine on, IIRC.
And they used mirror to see if there were something looked like Cat's.
And that's the way it should be. None their freaking business

amd oh yeah the gas cap.. forgot. So Kristo. you still got Echeck? I'm in Dayton metro.. Who's getting paid off around where you live? :)

TheRandom1 08-27-2011 10:30 AM

They do the same here in IL but you have to let them know what motor you swapped in, otherwise they're looking for information on a 4.3 which obviously is quite different than a 5.7.

kristoph30 08-27-2011 11:48 AM

Im in Lorain County. Greater cleveland area. Cigarette companies pay for our echeck up here. Its free to the everyday Joe (Who doesnt smoke. Part of a law suit) We are only e-checked every 2 years.

Personally, When i sit behind a car without a catalytic converter in traffic, i tell my kid (18) roll your window down.....thats what it used to smell like ALL the time!

So I do see a difference. I have travelled all over the country. I can SMELL where they no longer enforce emmissions! Oklahoma city is horrible.

TheRandom1 08-27-2011 11:52 AM

I love occasionally rolling behind a classic car with a carb and no cats, but I couldn't handle it every day.

kristoph30 08-27-2011 12:09 PM

Agreed. Once in a while is fine.

Senshi09 08-27-2011 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by kristoph30 (Post 456164)
In Ohio, if you have OBD-II they plug in to the data port, visually inspect that the cat is still there and test the gas cap to be sure it holds pressure.

If the SES light fails to light on start up or there is a code. The vehicle fails.

They never raise the hood so they dont know what motor is in it.

I live here (ohio) and never had to pass a e-check. The only check i had to pass was when I was getting my license and they only checked the lights (brake, blinkers, hazards, low and high beams) to make sure they worked. Hmm remind me to never move to the greater cleveland area ha ha ha. Yeah when im rolling behind those classics i got my window down with a smile. I need a time machine so i can go get me one for $1000-$5000 instead of finding shells for 3000 :(

kristoph30 08-27-2011 01:08 PM

Once every 2 year checks really arent that big of a deal. All they are doing is enforcing a federal law.