2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bushing kits and possibly fan clutch/AC clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member
MintyMadness is on a distinguished road
Default Bushing kits and possibly fan clutch/AC clutch problem

Hello! long time no post. Blazer sat for about 4 months without being driven in that time. Been working super hard (50+ a week) for a new managed services company in Houston (IT outsourcing).

Today I replaced the front shocks (wayyyyy easier than I figured it will be), to try and correct an issue of it looking like it was leaning on one side, and to fix the ride (super spongey) I have to say, so far: success!

Another reason that I did this is due to an ongoing debate between my brother and I.
The problem : "popping" noises when I turn, stop suddenly, or take off suddenly.

My bro says : CV Axles.
I say: Not necessarily.. I think it's the ball joints, and I think they are loose. I have no idea how to tighten them down though, and if I should even try without pneumatic tools.

There is no popping or clicking while driving. I replaced the wheel bearings last year, and the upper/lower ball joints. When I had them replaced the shop told me that I should seriously consider replacing the suspension components due to them being worn out. I said thanks and the rest of history. I did have them "tighten" the ball joints before my move from STL (where I was and bought the truck) to houston. When they did this, I noticed the popping stopped.

When I was replacing the suspension, I noticed a very many things are.. "loose," and I am wondering if this will affect the "loose" feeling in the front end.

Here are some pictures of my particular truck/parts:

Passenger side bolt of some sort, attaches to what I believe is front sway bar?:

upper ball joint (passenger):

lower ball joint:
(sorry for crap angle. I can get a better one if needed)

driver side bushings for sway bar:

driver side upper ball jnt:

driver side lower ball jnt:

My problem is I'm not sure what to look for in "looseness" of these parts. I can tell that a lot of the bushings need replacing at the least...

Should I be looking at replacing anything else that you can see in the photos? Everything else seems good and intact (CV boots, axles, bearings are still solid from twerking on the wheels).

I did notice that my steering linkage is fairly loose ( I can demonstrate with a video later.)

The last thing is it JUSt developed this as of starting it today.
A weird noise when running.. Sounds like maybe a bearing in one of the pulleys? maybe the fan clutch or the AC compressor clutch?
I'm a comuter nerd, I can only troubleshoot tier1 stuff on cars.. I defer to the experts!!

Video of noise:
(I will upload video tomorrow. Video keeps failing when upoading from my phone and my data cable is at work.. )

-Jeremy

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Beginning Member

Here is video, sorry for delay.
It looks like I got my pictures reveresed too (called out driver side when it was actually passenger and visa versa.. :S - sorry!)

the "clicking" is what I'm curious about. It just started, and it really sounds like a bearing for a pulley or something.. It's not consistant except for it's presence (the click stays, but it's not rhythmic at all.. changes as I accelerate or what have you.)

Old 04-26-2011, 12:10 AM
Beginning Member
tmoble is on a distinguished road

ball joints can't be "tightened". how much did they charge you for this "ball joint tightening?" maybe this is a matter of terminology?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member

I didn't get charged anything.. You are possibly right? It was "Jim's Muffler" out of Barhart Missouri..

Jim's Muffler & Brake Shop

They just tightened up everything down there, but really drove it home that I needed to address my suspension. They are the ones that replaced the lower ball joints. The shop I bought the truck from replaced the uppers before I bought it. I had a trusted family mechanic in Winner SD confirm the ball joint replacements and the need of suspension (he also mentioned replacing various muffler components to pass insp)..

I can take pics of whatever you would like to see and post them without much problem Any help you guys can give me as to what to request of a shop/mechanic would be awesome greatly wonderfully appreciated..

Wife wants me to trade this in for an Equinox.. *eyeroll*
Those are OK, but this is my B-Laze. With 186K miles, and still firing up like nobody's business (4x4 is absolutely flawelss btw, transmission is still smooth even when towing), I am reluctant to just "let it go."

-Jerm

Old 07-11-2011, 01:56 PM
deadbuzzard is an unknown quantity at this point

This is way late but minty did you ever figure out what that clicking is?

Old 07-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Beginning Member

CV axles