2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Clutch, metal to metal sound

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member
ESKYMOPACK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C Clutch, metal to metal sound

I've had issues with the A/C Clutch on other vehicles and on the Blazer, the clutch is making a metal-to-metal scraping noise as if it's rubbing on the compressor. I'm just wondering, since I live up north whether or not it's from not using it in the winter, and can anything be done to lubricate it so it won't make the noise????

Old 03-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can remove the outer drive half and put shims on the end of the shaft to adjust it out. You want to be careful though as you may cause it to not engage if you put too many in there.

Your A/C does cycle during the winter time to remove moisture from the air inside the truck.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks again Kyle, and thank you for fixing my login!!!

Is there a reason it happens to so many A/C clutches?? I work in the Automotive business, in sales, and have seen this issue on all vehicles.

I know if I were to bring it to a dealership, they'd replace it, but is it a fix or a bandaid??
Also, I do have access to pullers and air tools, is this something rather simple by pulling out the A/C compressor??

Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You do not even have to remove the A/C compressor. Just remove the bolt that holds the outer portion of the clutch onto the end of the shaft and pull it off. It is relatively easy to remove. You may have to squirt some WD40 or equivalent into the hole where the bolt threads in to loosen things up, but you should not need a puller. A puller may break things actually.

The outer portion of this section is isolated by rubber. When the clutch activates, the electromagnet pulls this section into the pulley, engaging the clutch. Over time, the outer section may relax and get closer to the pulley and contact it, causing a squeak.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks Kyle again. You ARE da man!

Old 03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Beginning Member
brcidd is an unknown quantity at this point

Shims are not used on Blazers- the clutch is a press fit- there is no bolt or nut on the end--You need to "borrow the tool" from autozone to pull the clutch driver out to a gap of .020"

I happen to know all this because I work in the factory that builds these compressors- and others....and I take them apart everyday....

Old 03-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Administrator

Really... Damn, yup, you are exactly right... I must have been thinking of the earlier compressors... They are all that I had in front of me to look at. Sorry for the misinformation.

Well, once you get the proper tool, it should be fairly easy to do.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Beginning Member

Kyle, you still da man!

Brcidd,
We don't have an autozone by us, we do have advanced auto. Would I ask for a A/C clutch puller??? or is there a pulley puller kit that it comes with???

Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member
brcidd is an unknown quantity at this point

Advance should have the clutch puller tool- in the kit they loan to you...

Old 03-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Starting Member
Swain is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do I measure the .020" from? I also have this problem and figured a new unit was the only solution. Thanks

Quick Reply: A/C Clutch, metal to metal sound