2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

a/c compressor not working?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 05:28 PM
trukid21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a/c compressor not working?

i have aproblem about my a/c. i'm also not getting any cold air eventhough i have charged my system(it was low). One thing i notice is that when i was charging it my compressor never kicked in (cycled) at all.i never heard the click noise like it normally does when i charge it. i let it run for at least 10 minutes(at max a/c)to see if it would engage but it won't. my accumulator and the piping stayed warm(even while charging)and the temp inside with the thermometer showed 68-70 degrees.Is it my compressor?, or the accumulator orifice like the one 2klt has an issuewith on the other post? or my accumulator might be bad?if any of these might be the problem, do i need to evacuate the freon that is inside of the unit(is there an easier way?). I hope not because i don't have the capability to remove freon, unless i take. it to a mechanic or dealer.thats alotof $$$.thank you for any advice.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:23 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: a/c compressor not working?

First you need to turn the system on and unplug the compressor. Then check for power and ground at the clutch.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:17 PM

thanks for the reply. but just to make it clear,are you saying unplug the electrical connection on the top of the compressor(right above the clutch plate)? or the one behind the compressor? then check for power and ground. i just want to be sure cuz i have no clue on this one but any tips would help. thanks again.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:08 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

The one on top by the belt.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:52 PM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point

if either the accumulator or compressor need to be replaced then the refridgerant will have to go. that leaves you3 options for getting rid of it if needed. have it reclaimed at a shop, pump all of the freon back into the compressor and close the valvesif the compressor is not what is being replacedor evacuate it into the air ( illegal and not recommended )
ive learned a little about a/cs so ill take a stab at it. Theres oil in the compressor and over time the oil settlesto the bottomand the compressor burns up because of it but the fuse should have popped before that.this is lame but check the fuses. when my cig lighter fuse blew it took my a/c fuse with it.plus the fuse should blow if the compressor heats up. who charges it you or a shop?

Old 03-19-2007, 02:16 AM

i checked the fuse and it is still good. i charged it myself, i have one of those kits.also in response to kordog,thanks, i'll get that check tomorrow after work. i jut hope it is not my compressor but if it is, i'm SOL, and probably need to replace my accumulatorand conderser too.To go back to the past,this startedlast summer.and since the gas price was high,i opted to use the Aveo and parked the truck.i did not follow up on this till now. the jimmy sat in the garage majority of the time during winter and i took it out last month to go skiing with my kids.but i never have to use the a/c then.is it a possibility that my compressor might be shot? one more thing, can a shop evacuate the freon for meandlet medo the repairs andcharge it back,orwouldthey rather do that too.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:36 AM
thevair65 is an unknown quantity at this point

well then i think the compressor is burnt up but i dont know that you have to replace variouse coils with the compressor.
hmm i dont think a shop can give you the freon back because after its reclaimed its desposed of.. but im not totaly sure.as far as i know at least when it comes to a/cs for homes your not allowed to use freon from the reclaimer tank because in some cases it contains metal shaveings that can damage the system. aspecialy in cases like this where the compressor might have been grinding i dont know that youd want that freon back.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:38 PM

i checked if there is any power going to the compressor and nada! no power.i turned on the a/c then unplug it from the compressor(top of the belt )and then check it for power as suggested. the most reading i got was .02 volts.i'm not sure what its supposed to be cuz the manual does not say anything about it.there is a schematic on the manual that shows it coming from the PCM i guess, but i do not understand those electrical schematics that well. any other suggestions of what i need to do next?? thanks again.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

i dont know what the voltage should be on that switch but that ant it. also i think that you have to have the compressor running when you recharge the ssytem. this can be accomplished by disconnecting the electrical connection on the accumulator/dryer and bridging the gap with a jumper or paper clip. this makes the compressor run non-stop no matter what. this could also be a useful check to see if the sensor in the accumulator is the reason the compressor will not turn on.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Disconnect your low side cycling switch (2 wire switch screwed into the accumulator) then install a FUSED jumper wire accross it's terminals (the connector not the switch...lol) and your compressor clutch should engage (engine running and a/c commanded on)....post up with the results.

Quick Reply: a/c compressor not working?