2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Compressor Replacement has me pulling hair out!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2015, 01:15 PM
RCogan is on a distinguished road

i am having major ac issues myself, think previous owner did some bonehead stuff to it, and halfa$$ed it a good bit.
anyway,
i do believe the new compressor seizing up is over/under oiling(have seen those manuals say one thing and the compressor calls for something else)
have had that issue once before on different truck.
not trying to thread jack, but where do you buy your parts?

Old 05-23-2015, 04:18 PM
Beginning Member
myZR2blazer is on a distinguished road

Manual States 236ml or 8 fl oz.
I can't imagine being over/under by more than an ounce. Would that make a difference? Caps and fittings to hookup a vacuum pump.

While trying to find the leak I did change out the brand new dryer with another new one.
How much oil is lost in that process? I drained the old one and replaced the same amount in a new one? Is there some left in the old dryer that should also be replaced?

Last edited by myZR2blazer; 05-23-2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:26 PM
Beginning Member
Default Back to leak...

Since the consensus is an oil problem with the compressor then I need to continue to find the leak while a new compressor is on it's way. I'll assume the compressor was a separate issue not related to the leak.

Does anybody know of a kit that can isolate the different parts of the system?

Seems to me that since the system is going to be open then I could try to vacuum down different parts of the system in order to determine which section is leaking.
The part I would most like to check this way is the Evaporator. If I could cap off one side and vacuum the other I could quickly determine if it was the culprit before pulling the dash!!

Old 05-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member
Default More info on Oil

I Measured the remaining oil to determine how much oil I put in before dryer swap mentioned above.
5.5 Oz - - Pag 46
2 oz - - Pag 46 1 oz. & Ice32 1 oz. (Charge Bottle)
1 oz - - Ice32 (Separate Bottle)
Dye
Total 8.5 oz.

Too much Ice32 ?
Should I have put 8 oz. without subbing Ice32 volume? So 8 oz. Pag 46 then 1 oz. Ice32?

Damn I hate A/C work!!

Old 05-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Using PAG46 is a big problem, it's far too thin and will cause rapid compressor failure. See post #9 above. Harrison HT6 compressor must have PAG150.

New accumulators do not have oil in them.
Ice32 is totally unnecessary.
Depending on the brand of dye that you used, it most likely has oil too, (check the can) which will skew your calculations on oil.
Basically you need to totally flush the system to get the PAG46 out, replace the accumulator, and start from scratch.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:14 AM
05canjimmy is on a distinguished road

when doing any kind of ac work always consult the manual of each specific component do not use generic stuff it will come back and bite you. wile you have the system open rather the doing a vacuum test do a pressure test and use a soap solution to leak check by far better the leak dye IMO Im actually a refrigeration apprentice and we hardly ever use dye because it takes too long to migrate out of the leaks much faster and easier to just pressure test. the issue with dye is that it has to mix with the oil and so in order to see it under UV you have to find the little spots of oil and in such a small system it makes it very hard to find. but if you cant pull less then 24" when evacuating you have a leak. the wrong oil is likely what took out the new compressor unfortunately.

Old 10-17-2016, 01:47 PM
Beginning Member
Default A/C Compresor Replacemnet

Sorry for taking so long to update this thread.
As it turns out there was not a leak in the system. I spoke to a commercial A/C technician that was servicing the A/C at my office. He stated that if the system was flushed it would take much longer to vacuum the system. What I was seeing is liquid boiling off when vacuum was removed. I found it hard to believe but it turned out to be correct. I vacuumed the system for about 16 hours (morning to night) then shut all the valves. Came back an hour later to see steady gauges. Over a year later it is still putting out 39 degrees.

The "new" compressor lockup was my fault. Somehow I put the orifice tube in backwards. This likely caused a backup of lubricant that destroyed the compressor. The mistake required me to replace the evaporator because the orifice was jammed into the pipe and would not come out even with brute force. This was a major job that required disassembly of the front right side of the truck. As it turns out, the evaporator did not show any leaks (dye).
Hope this helps anybody having a similar issue.

Old 05-13-2019, 11:23 AM
Beginning Member
mickey_bigdaddy is on a distinguished road

Sorry to drag this thread up again but my question relates to this situation. I have replaced all the following: evaporator, compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, condenser. I plan to put in 8 oz. of PAG 150 oil but where should it go? Should I put some in the each component replaced? I still haven't connected all the hoses so I don't know if I should put all the oil in the compressor or spread it out.

1999 Blazer
2WD