2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C Issues.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 08:25 PM
h2kgolden is on a distinguished road
Default A/C Issues.

Ok, this is a '98 Blazer, I've had it for about 1 month.

I bought it fairly cheap knowing that the A/C didn't work. (Figured it just needed a recharge, but was cheap enough that if I needed to get some real work done, it was still worth it)

So first, I took it to have it looked at/recharged and was told the compressor was hosed. No big deal, shopped around, and got a used one from a junkyard, it had a warranty, so I figured it wouldn't hurt. Long story short, about 3 days after I installed the compressor and had it charged, I had no cold air. Took it back into the shop and was told the "new" compressor was bad. Fine, I can live with that. So I bought a new (really, it is brand spanking new) compressor, complete with accumulator and orifice tube, to validate my warranty on it.

Excellent! had the new compressor installed professionally, and put on a new high pressure switch too. I had icy cold air for about... 3 days. On the 4th day, I drove it across town to pick up a friend, and it didn't work the entire way there. So later that night, I went back out there to check to see if it was cycling like it was out of freon or something, and it blew cold air fine!

Confused, I left it and called it good. It lasted about two more days, and then started not working again. Using a multimeter, I narrowed it down to the high pressure switch. Figuring it wasn't malfunctioning (since it was new) I took it into the shop and discovered it was barely overfilled. Ok, vacuumed and recharged and headed home. Still didn't work, cycled every 30s for about 5 seconds it would kick on (no cold air during the 5s).

For good measure I replaced the A/C relay in the fuse box, and just today had the system recharged and grabbed a new low pressure switch.

Needless to say, I'm posting here because it still doesn't work! I've damn near replaced everything. It will cycle on for about 3-5 seconds, and then off for 1 minute or longer. No cold air whatsoever, and we're stumped! Looking at my wiring diagram I see that the only thing (on the electrical side) I haven't touched is the control module. Am I missing something obvious? should I jumper the low pressure switch and see what happens? Will that hurt anything? Where can I find the control module? (diagram says "right side of engine compt, but uh... I don't know what I'm looking for). I've searched and used this site during the past month for other misc. things, and have had pretty good luck, but this issue is kicking my ***.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Beginning Member
jamesbalzer is an unknown quantity at this point

You have a freon leak. Recharge and add dye then you can use a blacklight to locate the leak.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:12 PM
h2kgolden is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the delayed response, I was away from home this weekend.

Originally Posted by jamesbalzer
You have a freon leak. Recharge and add dye then you can use a blacklight to locate the leak.
Unfortunately, I forgot to mention that each after the new compressor was installed, prior to vacuum/recovery, we did recover nearly all the freon that was supposed to be there. So there was still plenty of gas there.

This last time we filled it, immediately afterward it still didn't work, so unless there's a new leak, that's huge, I don't this is caused by a leak (Although I wish it were that simple!)

Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-31-2009, 09:56 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Jumper the switch and see what happens. I did it while recharging the A/C in my '01.