2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

can this blazer be fixed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: can this blazer be fixed?

Yeah, basically the same way that no-fault in NY works as well. In that case, you have nothing to go back on. Really is your choice for not carrying collision insurance.

In NY though, if you can "prove" negligence, then a law suit can bring you more $$$. That is why I asked about the police report. If you have tried everything you can think of, then I guess there is little else that you can do.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
Swiss is an unknown quantity at this point

ya obviously, but i wasn't aware that a situation like this would pan out this way, just like the majority of people that hear that story.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:05 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Ah...that makes more sense...you weren't fully insured. So you're getting everything your policy allows.

That's the gamble of saving money by not having full covered with collision.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:11 PM
z28jeff is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. OK, so I guess that's how it is in Michigan and you've learned a valuable lesson from this. I assume you'll add collision to your next vehicle , right? Cause I really don't see you fixing that Blazer for less than what it was worth before it got hit.
It might be easier to find a cheap Blazer that was hit in the front, and use the parts from your current one to fix it.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:13 PM

i look at it as more of greedy politicians succumbing to corporate america by being forced into buying full coverage :P had i known it would have been a gamble i would have had collision, i drive safely. ya was kinda thinking maybe try to find one that needs an engine or a tranny or something, i aint goin to sell it for 300 bucks.

Old 10-28-2008, 06:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a flip side to that outlook on no-fault policies. If the person that hit you only had liability insurance, or worse, none, you would be in the same boat. Insurance in general is a catch-22. Stinks to pay the premium month after month, year after year and not use it, but worth it that one time you may need it. While you may be the most cautious driver in the world, you have to admit that there are a lot of people out there that could care less about others on the road.

I wish you luck on your rebuild. It will not be easy. As stated already, you should definitely get the vehicle to a frame shop and get the overall damage to the frame and body assessed.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:34 PM
rsheltro is an unknown quantity at this point

I can feel Swiss's pain. I'm also from Michigan and I can tell you that our insurance is a crock. Consider these personel experiences:

1. 15 years ago I was driving along and out of nowhere a guy makes a left turn in front of me. Pretty obvious what happened as neither of us moved after the collision. His fault, yes. Ticket given? Yes-to the driver making the illegal turn. What did I get? $500. Older Ford Ranger-they would have totalled it probably with anymore than $1000 damage anyhow. (Based on 80% of ACV-typical of all insurances.)

2.In 2005 an18 wheeler is coming around a sharp corner in my dad's lane. (I was with him.) My dad moved over to the snowbank on his side (could see the tracks.) Trailer tires run over the left front corner of my dads truck. Both vehicles stopped about 10' from the point of impact. Truck driver gets a ticket-my dad gets $500. 1982 Ford F-100 (35000 original miles-no rust. It was out on its monthly run to keep everything loose at this time.) None of the collector car insurances would insure it because it wasn't 25 years old at the time and not considered a classic, and it wasn't worth anything to regular insurance companies.Probably would have given slightly more than 500 in the event of a complete loss.

I do understand that on these older cars comp and collision is not worth it, but if its not your fault then damn it its not your fault. Both of these vehicles were worth over $500.

Another stupid thing is the Michigan Catastrophic Claims Association fee. It is supposedly run by a not for profit group and it is supposed to provide unlimited medical coverage for life for anyone injured in an auto accident. Sounds good - until you have to go through the hassle of getting it. From what I heard it can be a bear. Other states do without it - I have to pay (along with every insured driver in MI) about $100 every 6 months per vehicle regardless of type of coverage. There is a grassroots organization in the state of Michigan trying to rid us of this PIA fee but it never seems to take off.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:22 PM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

If only you were closer I got a 1995 with almost a mint body. Car was rearended(car went under hit trailer hitch, bumper a little, little ding on the tail gate and hood). Paint was/still is flawless. Bent the frame and rear doors are a little out on the top. But the cab is pretty mint for a 1995.

swartlkk: I think just upstate might be no fault. I mean I am getting a check for a few thousand for when the girl rearended my blazer. I think NYC and the 5 boroughs/ Long Island might be different.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:23 AM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take it to court. That has to be the biggest load of crap ever. If that was the case there is no point in getting insurance cause anyone can drive and plow into someone without consequence. I would take the company to court or the individual (if you didn't cash the check) cause that law is totally unfair.

Old 10-29-2008, 01:08 AM

i would be throwing my money away, thats how it works and most people dont realize thats how it works, i was one of them. i posted earlier on this thread how the law works and the website to go with it. and if anything the law makes it 'more necessary' to have insurance because you're screwed no matter what if you dont have full coverage. makes it so the majority of people will get full coverage, and insurance companies give money for political campaigns n what not.