2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can this possibly be right?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 01:12 PM
RedSledge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Congrats. I'm glad the part you found worked, and you're happy with how your truck drives now.
Thanks. That's big of you. I'm no longer embarrassed to have passengers ride with me. What got me started on this quest was my neighbor's comment, "Doesn't take bumps very well does it?". He owns a Yukon, and kept asking, "what's that thump sound?" Also, I think not 'hitting bottom' all the time is probably saving my LCA.

In retrospect, I'm wondering if the factory installed round variety, that some have referred to, was simply shorter than the ones I had.(??) For example, the picture below from the Summit Racing site, shows an ACDelco p/n 15956547, that looks alot shorter than the ones I had. But they're also about 5 times more expensive than the black rubber ones I used, and I still wouldn't have bought them unless I knew for a fact they were shorter.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:56 PM
Toxyco is on a distinguished road

Removed the remnants of mine today. Nothing left but rusty metal cups. The round ones that pop up on Amazon clearly say they're for ZR2 high rider package. The part that comes up on Rock and the Delco site show the wedge shaped as the correct part so I'm assuming that's the replacement. There may be a round replacement that has the same profile as the original round cup design but w/o any measurements you really can't tell from pictures so I ordered the ACDelco part.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Toxyco
Removed the remnants of mine today. Nothing left but rusty metal cups. The round ones that pop up on Amazon clearly say they're for ZR2 high rider package. The part that comes up on Rock and the Delco site show the wedge shaped as the correct part so I'm assuming that's the replacement. There may be a round replacement that has the same profile as the original round cup design but w/o any measurements you really can't tell from pictures so I ordered the ACDelco part.
Amazon! That's where I got put in the trick bag to start with. There was a herd of vendors selling those stops, and that's why Amazon is such a bad place to research parts. Some vendors give you accurate details and information, others not. I apparently bought from one of the 'nots' because there was no mention of any high rider option. Anyway, glad to hear you've got a handle on it.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:02 PM

So I changed out the front stops and replaced the rears as well. For those that don't know (I didn't) the rears are called jounce bumpers and play and active role in the suspension by adding a progressive spring rate. Could be the placebo effect but even on a short run truck feels much more stable. They come into play after about 2" of travel.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:56 PM
puttster will become famous soon enough

Here's what the remains of my BS looked like. I replaced it with a Moog. It too had a different shape but the bottom fit perfectly.

Attached Thumbnails Can this possibly be right?-bumpstop.jpg   Can this possibly be right?-bump-ra.jpg  
Old 10-02-2021, 06:06 AM
Starting Member
perumotors1369 is on a distinguished road

you have a 2wd...The Rock Auto part you've showed it the correct application for your Extreme 2wd. If the arrow is pointing to the 'base' of the removed part, someone installed a 4wd jounce bumper previously on this vehicle..May fit...may even 'work' but not 'factory' correct......

Old 10-02-2021, 10:32 AM

So I changed out the front stops and replaced the rears as well. For those that don't know (I didn't) the rears are called jounce bumpers and play and active role in the suspension by adding a progressive spring rate. Could be the placebo effect but even on a short run truck feels much more stable. They come into play after about 2" of travel.

OMG! That old bumper looks like it's been beheaded and cremated. How did it get that way?? Mine are dirty, but still yellow, and round on the bottom.

Old 10-02-2021, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by RedSledge
OMG! That old bumper looks like it's been beheaded and cremated. How did it get that way?? Mine are dirty, but still yellow, and round on the bottom.
The driver's side was worse by a long shot, only the upper.most bulge was fully still there. Just dry rotted out husks. They weighed nothing and had no integrity. IDK what happened to them except age/salt. Saw some that were in similar condition on the web and lots of comments like, "oh they just stop metal to metal contact" so you don't need them. But some more in depth reading says that, at least in the case of the rears on a stock vehicle, they're meant to do much more than that.

Old 10-02-2021, 11:50 AM

The driver's side was worse by a long shot, only the upper.most bulge was fully still there. Just dry rotted out husks. They weighed nothing and had no integrity. IDK what happened to them except age/salt. . .
Salt! That could be it. I don't think mine's ever seen salt. The black paint on the suspension and frame is still intact. It came from rural Kansas - farm country.

Old 10-03-2021, 04:34 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

I installed some random Energy Suspension bump stops I found at the parts store a while back. Worked like a charm. The old ones were beyond shot...

The droop stops were also shot, and I ordered these Energy Suspension stops online, but it was about 7 years ago, no idea what the part number was...

Quick Reply: Can this possibly be right?