2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can timing be verified with a timing light

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 08:09 PM
Starting Member
jasondis is on a distinguished road

I had the crank sensor relearn done after the sensor was installed. The truck runs much better now but it still shakes when I'm stopped at lights idling. I dont know why. Is there a test for vacuum in the software or something I can setup for when I'm driving that will show any faults occurring ?

Old 09-11-2021, 08:29 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

There is a lot we can do with the scanner But lets get the cmp retard to zero first. After that I think that looking at fuel trims could be revealing. That will tell us if we have a possible vacuum leak. So it runs ok down the road but idle is rough?

Old 09-11-2021, 08:36 PM
Starting Member

That's correct. Its runs much better down the road and has more power. I have to try to go on the hwy because before when I went on the hwy I couldn't go more then 100km/h. Now I dont think there will be that problem anymore but I won't know until I try again. But ya it idles rough stopped at lights but nowhere near as bad as before. Spinning that distributor gear made a big difference.

Old 09-12-2021, 10:09 AM
Starting Member

I have a couple questions. Do I have to remove the distributor again to get the original hold down clamp off or can it be removed without pulling out the distributor ? And if I have to pull the distributor again ...what is the best way of removing the orginal clamp ? .....My next question is does the new hold down clamp fit into the same channel as the old clamp ?

Last edited by jasondis; 09-12-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-12-2021, 01:42 PM

I would pull the distributor to remove the old clamp. I would spread the old clamp or cut it to remove. You may need to use a washer and a longer bolt (it's metric) so the head of the bolt fits the bigger hole in the new clamp. Just center the ears on the new clamp on both sides of the distributor base and you will be fine.

Old 09-12-2021, 03:20 PM

Honestly its been so long since I did mine (8 years) I cant remember if I spread the old clamp to get it off or if I cut it. But I do remember removing the distributor. Maybe George has more recent experience.

Old 09-12-2021, 04:46 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Mine was out at the time because I had just replaced the gear on my OEM distr and it has been about as long for me (like Les said, we are old guys). If I remember correctly the OEM hold down was a friction fit and you just work it off the shaft with a screwdriver, then the aftermarket hold down just lays into the channel as you bolt it down. Then the distr has infinite rotation available.

George

Old 09-12-2021, 08:39 PM
BF Veteran

I used the hold down that I posted in post #17

George

Old 09-13-2021, 12:44 PM
Starting Member

So I'm gonna have to replace the stock hold down bolt forsure ? Does anyone know what size I should be looking for ? I'm assuming it should have a good hardness of steel and its metric thread and if I'm gonna have to use a thick washer on top of the clamp I should get a bolt that's a 1/4 longer. I just want to be prepared because I'm working at a friends place. I thought the stock fastener would work but I guess I was wrong.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran

I just used the one I sent in the Amazon link. Bolt provided, no washer needed. Easy Peasy. Compare the photo if you want to go the local parts store or buy it on ebay instead:

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...utor+hold+down

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15457980458...UAAOSwi8lhInBE

Amazon Amazon

George

Quick Reply: Can timing be verified with a timing light