2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

CANNOT get this thing started!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 10:12 AM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also, when the 1st timing mark is lined up, the 2nd is just before the notch, and when the 2nd is lined up exactly on the notch, it puts the 1st one just past the tab...

Old 07-12-2011, 10:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's odd...

How far off are they from their respective tabs?

As far as how to find TDC #1 and assure that it is on compression, first I would remove all of the spark plugs so you can easily spin the motor over by hand. Then hold your finger (or an assistants finger) over the #1 spark plug hole. You'll be able to feel the compression stroke before the piston reaches TDC if you are rotating it by hand. Then using a small straw (think coffee stir stick) in through the spark plug hole, feel for the piston coming up to TDC. Rotate the crank until the piston stops moving. This will be pretty darn close to TDC #1 on compression. To find true TDC, you need a degree wheel and a piston stop.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:36 PM
Starting Member
R134A is on a distinguished road

Have you thought about a camshaft it drives the distributor if the gear on the distributor was damage what do you think about the camshaft gear that drives it. Pull your cap and turn it over while watching the rotor. You can also look at your oil pressure while cranking if it fluctuates while cranking you could have a bad gear on the camshaft.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:22 AM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

Also remember the distributor rotates a bit to get it in. Make sure you are accounting for the slight rotation when you install it else you will be off 1 tooth.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

So I used a straw to find TDC, on the compression stroke, and it appears to be where the lines meet up with the marks. Turns out I was just looking at the lines at a bad angle, it does line up exactly when viewed straight on. Anyways, I lined up the rotor exactly with the '6' on the distributor, coil wire is making spark at the distributor, new rotor, distributor, plugs, wires are only 1.5 years old, new coil, new ICM, and fuel pressure is at 56-58 psi. Still no start.

At this point I think my have to just take it to a shop, I have no scanner, and plus I am just tired of working on this thing, has been over a month. I have never had this much trouble diagnosing or working on any vehicle in 13 years of working on cars...

Old 07-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Starting Member
Freddie from LI is on a distinguished road
Default driving me nuts here

finding lots of good info on this, but still not running. Took my intake manifold off, changed gaskets and had to change spider too. Got her back together and it's a train wreck. Tried reposition distrib, and mad matters much worse. No im going through the timing procedure, and have hit another wall. Seems the distrib is 1/4 turn off. Trying to turn oil pump drive, but it is not moving period, and I'm afraid i'll break something inside the engine, making it even worse. Any ideas? Thanks Freddie