2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't Fasten Rear Window Latch

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:12 AM
ddilink is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Can't Fasten Rear Window Latch

I have a 95 Blazer 4x4 4 door. The latch fell off the glass on the rear window and I haven't been able to refasten it. I have used Loctite epoxy, adhesive calk, rear mirror glue, hot glue from a gun and all have failed. It seems there is some chemical reaction between the glass and the latch material which is a kind of hard rubber.

Anyh help on this perplexing problem will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Vince

Old 10-29-2009, 08:52 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm... I swear mine is bolted on through the glass. Anyways, have you tried Goop? You can get it at many places like craft stores, wal-mart, walgreens, etc. It comes in a couple varieties such as"automotive goop", "plumbers goop", "crafters goop", and such. I don't know if the formulas are different or not, and I have used a few types... it all seems the same, so pick up whatever. It is a glue and it is water proof.

http://eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

Old 10-29-2009, 09:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You may have to clean it down to bare metal and then scuff the glass. Use the adhesive that is sold to refasten a rear view mirror to the windshield. The key will be in fresh metal on glass.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:39 PM
terry s is on a distinguished road

Be careful what you use. The auto store was out of rear virw mirror adheasive so they sold us something else instead for a rear view mirror.

Not only did the mirror fall off a few days later but it had melted a cavity in the windshield.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:21 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by terry s
Be careful what you use. The auto store was out of rear virw mirror adheasive so they sold us something else instead for a rear view mirror.

Not only did the mirror fall off a few days later but it had melted a cavity in the windshield.
Just an FYI - Goop does not harm glass in any way. I have used it on glass myself with no problems.

Also...

If/when you buy the windshield glue, only buy a brand name. Don't mess around with impostors. They don't work well. I have also used superglue on rear view mirrors in the past and it works. Once I tried to adjust it a second after I touched it to the glass and I pulled a chunk of the glass out!

Old 10-30-2009, 07:45 AM
ddilink is on a distinguished road
Default Response to Help

Thanks everyone for you suggestions. I am trying goop which seems to be holding for the time being. Also, there are two (or more) kinds of rear window latches. One that glues on and one that fastens on with screws through the glass.