2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't figure out brake problem?? plz help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM
big_dude64@hotmail.com is on a distinguished road

Anyone get resolution on this issue? I have a 2000 Blazer that I am bringing back from certain death. I have a similar issue in that I get an occasional brake light flicker and soft pedal. I have replaced the MC 4 time with three different results, two rebuilt units leaked like a sieve and an offshore new unit would never bench bleed. I have tried a new, not rebuilt ABS valve unit, all new hoses at the wheels, new calipers up front (one was sticking badly.) A local shop had it for three days and found absolutely the same thing I did. Between us, we have used a gallon and a half of DOT3 and cycled the ABS a couple dozen times. (I am fully trained as a mechanic and have bi-directional scanner for personal use.) I now am staring at the two flexible pipes between the MC and the ABS valve unit or the rear calipers as the final culprits. IF anyone has suggestions, I have an open mind.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by big_dude64@hotmail.com
Anyone get resolution on this issue? I have a 2000 Blazer that I am bringing back from certain death. I have a similar issue in that I get an occasional brake light flicker and soft pedal. I have replaced the MC 4 time with three different results, two rebuilt units leaked like a sieve and an offshore new unit would never bench bleed. I have tried a new, not rebuilt ABS valve unit, all new hoses at the wheels, new calipers up front (one was sticking badly.) A local shop had it for three days and found absolutely the same thing I did. Between us, we have used a gallon and a half of DOT3 and cycled the ABS a couple dozen times. (I am fully trained as a mechanic and have bi-directional scanner for personal use.) I now am staring at the two flexible pipes between the MC and the ABS valve unit or the rear calipers as the final culprits. IF anyone has suggestions, I have an open mind.
There is a TSB for low speed ABS activation. Here's a link to it: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...ment%5D-26941/

If that's not the problem, remove the master cylinder cover and gravity bleed each wheel, at the bleeder valve, (not the line) one at a time, until they all bleed clear, (no bubbles). It might take a few minutes on each wheel before it starts dripping.... be patient. Afterwards, perform the automated bleed.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:21 PM
big_dude64@hotmail.com is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply Captain Hook, but alas my problem was not the low speed activation. I tried the gravity bleed and had same results, no air in system. I decided to replace the rear pads and calipers. That's when I found the problem. The pads that were on the rig still had 40% or so life, so were passed by as a possible solution by me and the pro. Turns out that the top sliding pin on both sides had seized in its bore. The calipers were taking more fluid after some rough road opened them up. Replaced both sides, calipers and brackets, and all is wonderful. I have the healthiest brakes I have had on any of my Blazers.

Old 03-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Binding/siezed caliper guide pins and pistons are very common on this vehicle. The calipers, pads, hardware, rotors and brackets should all be replaced every time you service the rear brakes.... if you don't want problems Not a bad idea to inspect & lube the guide pins and the bores in the brackets periodically during the life of the brakes. Glad you found the problem!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member
Joanie is on a distinguished road
Default ABS Recall

They are a screwed up mess. Check for the recall and take it to a dealer.