2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't find the TCCM

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:50 PM
cyberdog is on a distinguished road

Ok this is what i know so faar after some testing.

No vacum to the actuator under the battery.
Good vacum in the manifold.
When i press any of the 4wd buttons it just flashes.

The actuator works great and pulls cable when applying vacum directly from the manifold. But no 4x4...

Now the Q´s ...

I guess the valve on the TC that opens to give vacum to the actuator doesnt work or has jammed. What actually makes the valve open ?

Does the front driveaxle engage in the TC when i go to 4x4 or is it constantly engaged ?

As i said before i can hear the TC motor humming when pressing the 4x4 buttons and the relay ( guess on the tccm) making a sound but thats all i hear from there. Am i supposed to hear anything else ?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:31 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

you should have a vac solenoid on the firewall right of your dist cap.

vac goes through there down to the accuator.

there are a number of posts with test for the proper resistance, and you can test it's function with a multi-meter. Use search.

if you have a 4 button auto-trac (4Auto) set up, then you will have vac at the front axle all the time.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABN31B
you should have a vac solenoid on the firewall right of your dist cap.

vac goes through there down to the accuator.

there are a number of posts with test for the proper resistance, and you can test it's function with a multi-meter. Use search.

if you have a 4 button auto-trac (4Auto) set up, then you will have vac at the front axle all the time.
Um. No...

96 means nv233. The NV236 transfer case did not become available until '98.

And the NV236 is the one with the electronic solenoid on the firewall. The front axle does not have vacuum all of the time with this setup, only when in a 4wd mode.

If the transfer case is never locking into a 4wd mode, you shouldn't be getting vacuum to the actuator. The transfer case has to complete the shift into a 4wd mode in order for it to open up the valve (vacuum switch) between the engine and the actuator.

There are a few good articles in the Tech Article (DIY) section that would really give you a direction to head in. Read through the OBD2 Non-Automatic Transfer Case Diagnosis thread as well as the thread by error_401 for diagnostic tips and other information on the NV233 transfer case.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

wow... like Kyle said, I'm way off.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:19 AM

Where can i buy new TCCM and Encoder motor ? Just in case its any of them. The encoder motor is that wth ancoder aswell or just the motor ?

ALso can say i have found my TCCM now after hours of searching It was behind the ashtray

Old 02-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Beginning Member
mfd70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of interest, does anyone know where the TCCM is on right hand drive models ? I need to find it as I can't get 4 Hi or 4 Lo now, I was able to get 4 Lo with no front wheel drive and the auto 4X4 has never worked ! I guess the TCCM would be a good start point !

Old 03-08-2010, 10:52 AM

Ok heres what i have done today.

Went to the garage and removed the tccm motor. Reconnected the power to it when it was out so i could see it working.

When i press either 4hi or 4lo it just goes max to the right and then max to the left and does that a couple of times and then it stays in the middle again ( 2hi ) .

When i move the sensor thingy on the tccm motor i can get all lights, 2hi, 4hi and 4lo to light up on the dash depending on how i turn the sensor. But then i connect the motor back on the truck and press 4hi or 4lo the light just flashes ( and i can hear the motor working and going back and forth between all modes ) and after a few secs it just stays in 2hi again.

Any input on the things i have so faar ?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The part on the transfer case is the encoder motor, not the TCCM (transfer case control module).

If it moves freely when disconnected, it is likely a weak encoder motor or corroded connection/damaged wiring to the encoder motor. How nice does the shaft turn in the transfer case? It should be relatively easy to turn with a wrench.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM

Forgott to try how easily the shaft on the tc moves.

WHen i press either 4hi or 4lo it should just move to the right position and stay there, Right ?

As mine moves through all modes i guess the encoder is bad. Since the lights on the dash lights up when turning on the sensor it seems the signal is ok up to the tccm.

SO i might just order a new encoder motor and get it solved ?

I have checked the connections on the encoder motor itself and they look just fine. I havent been able to check the connectors on the tccm itself since its jammed up behind the ashtray and havent figured out how to get to it yet.

Oh and another Q regarding the encoder motor. I am guessing its gears inside the encoder assembly. When i turn the thing thats supposed to turn the shaft on the tc it moves really easy, should i atleast feel alittle of resistance since i am guessing the motor is geared really low like 1:30 ratio or so ?.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

Checked the Diagnostics codes with pin 13 today. THey blink one time and then nothing for a sec or so and then 1 time again and continues like that.

So is that Code 1 or meaning there are no problems stored in the tccm ?

If it is code 1 what is the fault and what to do ?

Quick Reply: Can't find the TCCM