2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't get scanner to work

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road
Question Can't get scanner to work

Hi, my "service engine soon" light came on a few days ago. The car runs & drives perfectly so I can't figure out whay it came on but i'd like to know what trouble code has been stored. I borrowed a handheld scanner off a friend which is supposed to work with all vehicles from 1996 onwards but I cannot get it to work. When I plug it into the 16 pin connector, the scanner powers up but after 30 seconds or so I get a message saying "linking error". I have tried numerous times without success, each time turning the ignition off then on again. Have even tried with the engine running. The scanner is a Maxscan GS500 - don't know if anyone on the forum is familiar with that one? It's a reasonably cheap "made in China" affair but it always worked on my friends Volvo + a couple of other cars with OBD2. Any suggestions would be appreciated, that SES light is getting on my nerves now

Old 02-24-2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would try another scan tool. Take it to you nearest Autozone and see if they can read it.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

x2 autozone can also give you a printout of the codes and possible causes

Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Starting Member

Hi, thanks guys but unfortunately we don't have Autozone here in the UK or anyone else similar who reads the codes for free (as far as I know), I live in the middle of nowhere which doesn't help. I will have a word with a guy I know at my local repair shop & see if he'll hook up their scanner for me, might even do it for free if I get him a couple beers! Like I said previously, the vehicle drives perfectly so I can't imagine it can be anything too serious, hope not anyway. Fuel consumption is pretty normal too. Maybe I could try disconnecting the battery for a while to see if that clears things? Or maybe pull the relevant fuse for a while?

Old 02-24-2010, 11:59 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

might be of some help if you get the volvo reader hooked up again:
This is a clickable link

Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM
Starting Member

The Haynes manual suggests disconnecting the battery for a minute to clear the service engine light, I tried this but it still stays on so I guess there is a fault somewhere? Wondered if I should have left it disconnected for longer? As I said before the truck runs & drives perfectly so I can't imagine it's anything serious. I have read somwehere else on this forum that sometimes something intermittent occurs to trip the light then the fault can clear itself, but the light remains until reset - is this true or can the light turn itself off automatically? Must admit, this is the 1st vehicle i've had with OBD so i'm still finding my way around things.
ABN31B - I have looked at the link you posted, looks useful so will try that when I get time, and can borrow my friends scanner again - thanks for that.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the fault happens once and then everything goes back to normal, the light should reset itself. There are a few codes which will hard set the light until the PCM is cleared, but disconnecting the battery for 15-20 minutes should clear the PCM.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for that - will disconnect it for longer tomorrow & see what happens. If i've still got a light then I know I have a problem.
This a great forum, I am relatively new to Blazer ownership so I am finding this so damn useful especially since Blazers are so rare here in the UK so information is pretty scarce. I get a lot of people stopping & asking me what it is because they've never seen one before! Can't understand why GM didn't sell more of them here, there are plenty of Cherokees around so there's clearly a demand for such vehicles.