2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Can't Shift From Park When Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 03:56 PM
Starting Member
BigEffingHammer is on a distinguished road
Default Can't Shift From Park When Cold

Hey guys, I've been having some troubles shifting out of park when cold...

This is brand new to this year, because last year, I could shift when it was -20.
Now, if it hits about 25 or so, and my Blazer is cold for maybe 10 hours, when I turn it on, there is a lot of resistance in the column shifter. I basically cannot move it if I pull on it with all my strength. Once my vehicle warms up a little bit, I can barely shift it into Reverse, then a little longer, Neutral, etc.

If I try to shift when the engine isn't on but the key is turned to the one before start, so it's not the brake switch.

So, I don't have any idea what this could be.

Thoughts?

Old 12-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Starting Member
darknight is on a distinguished road

Make sure you have enough trans fluid. A female friend of mine use to have the same issues with her 95 blazer ls. So just make sure u let it warm up to operating temp first

Old 12-26-2011, 03:03 AM
Starting Member

Trans fluid is just fine.

This is not supposed to happen, so I won't be happy just dealing with it. However, I have just been dealing with it.

Old 12-26-2011, 05:43 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe adjust the linkage.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:53 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Mine did this couple years ago...check the linkage cable for a tear or nick in the outer layer. Mine had worn thru and moisture got in there and would freeze every morning. What i did was spray it down with wd40 and let it dry out then patched the tear with some elec tape and split loom for good measure...been fine since.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Starting Member

Well, thanks for the help.

I just searched Google for a good 10 minutes and didn't find any descriptive ways of how to actually do that.

So, back to here, how do you go about checking the linkage?

Old 12-26-2011, 05:36 PM
Beginning Member
Blue Jay is on a distinguished road

I second the shift cable, water getting in and freezing hence it won't move when cold.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:23 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, that sounds like the most reasonable thing.

Now I just need to find out how to access that and check it.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:23 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

just get under there and find the start of the cable at the tranny and inspect it all the way...mine was rubbing on the t-case

Old 12-27-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for a cable problem.

As far as adjusting it goes, check out THIS THREAD & THIS THREAD (found searching for "shift+cable+adjustment" with the author set to "swartlkk" ). They contain the procedure as well as a link to a pictorial procedure based on an F-body which is nearly identical to the S-series trucks.

Quick Reply: Can't Shift From Park When Cold