Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

95 shift cable problem...need thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 02:45 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road
Default 95 shift cable problem...need thoughts

95 4 door, 4x4: one night putting column shifter into park and found that the lever goes into park, but the transmission only goes into reverse. Able to get under vehicle and push lever into park with no problem. Able to shift to ALLgears except Park, but shifter has a mushy feel to it. Cover off steering column, all looks good, nothing appears broken, bent.

When I move the column shifter and watch the cable end at the transmission, the rubber cable cover moves a bit.I have pulled and pushed on the cable at the steering column with the column shifter disconnected and the transgoes into Park with some effort, but to put into Park requires more travel than thecolumn shifter is capable of doing. Like the cable has stretched or something. All bracketsare in place, nothing loose, nothing missing.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-08-2008, 03:21 PM
mccague36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 95 shift cable problem...need thoughts

thats why mines in the shop right now, theyre waiting on the cable, mine rusted out. it'll be about $350 for them to fix it. my blazers a money pit...

Old 12-09-2008, 04:01 PM

I am hoping mine is just the cable. Its only about $100 with shipping...but does not look to be too bad to replace??.

If the cable were broken,I should not be able to pull and push the shift cable a the column and have the trans shift.

This is really bugging me.... Sometimes I think its the cable and then I think its in the column shifter...then back to the cable.

I may just get one from a salvage yard and replace it...and see if that does it. Now if I only had the time to do this.

Any more thoughts out there as to what has actually happened???????????????????????????

Old 12-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This procedure has tasks that you really would only do during a full on shift cable replacement, but the adjustment procedure is there. Hope this helps.
SHIFT CABLE ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE
1. Ensure that the shift cable is not restricted.
2. Place the steering column shift lever into the neutral position.
3. Position the shift cable to assume a natural routing. The shift cable must be free to move 20.0 mm (0.80 inch) axially during the adjustment under adjustment spring loads.
4. Pull the cable end completely forward and release it. (when the cable is pulled completely forward and released, the adjustment spring will position the cable to its most rearward position.)
5. Connect the end of the shift cable to the transmission shift lever stud ball.

NOTICE: Do not pull the shift cable end forward of the transmission shift lever stud ball during installation. Pulling the shift cable end forward of the transmission shift lever ball stud before installing the shift cable end to the transmission shift lever ball stud will result in a poor adjustment.

6. Press the locking tab IN in order to secure the shift cable to the transmission bracket.
7. If the vehicle is equiped with a transfer case, install the bolt and washer securing the clip and the shift cable to the transfer case.
8. Install the grommet to the hole in the floor panel.
9. Install the three shift cable clips to the body.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the procedures....not real clear on a few things, but will try this.
I assume the shift cable is attached to the column shift stud ball?

Have ordered a new cable...but its going to be end of Dec before it arrives. Unable to really drive the vehicle at this time. If I put the trans in Park by pushing the lever at the trans, then I can use the column shift to "pull" to any gear. But not able to "push" it back hardley at all now. I think the cable is broken inside the sheath or jacket. And when I "push" it, the broken ends are passing each other slightly but are caught on the inside to the jacket.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Installing new shift cable is NOT for the "faint of heart".....entire underdash has to come out of course, but getting the carpet pulled up enough is about the hardest thing. Getting the cable grommet out and new one in was pretty easy when I used my heat gun to soften the rubber boot a bit. It was 45 degrees outside doing this in the driveway, so the cable did not want to bend real easy either.

Have yet to do the adjustment...but have printed out the procedures....sure hope this is the problem. The old cable seems just fine.

Later guys,