2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

case relearn

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 02:36 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

my neighbor has a Snap-On Solus Pro that we just plug in and went make model etc and found a ckp relearn function. believe that will do it Edit, after doing a bunch of research this tool will do it. Now I need to get him to sell it to me LOL. PS he`ll let me use it for free

Last edited by newguy; 05-15-2016 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 06:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

That is a VERY capable scan tool! It will also access camshaft retard, injector balance, cylinder contribution, and, it is bi-directional. It will access all onboard modules, (except CDR).

Old 05-16-2016, 11:33 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Ask Les Myer, he found a set up that isn't all that expensive. There are always used scan tools on Ebay too. Usually start around $1500, but you need to make sure the software is updated to cover your year of vehicle, and that it has the accessories that you'll need, (cables, connectors, adapters, etc).
HP Tuners VCM Scanner software/hardware will do all of that stuff you mentioned + more (you don't have to buy the write-to-PCM tuning capability). $349 including the hardware. Runs on Windows laptop. I am not sure what modules you can access, as I have not tried any other than powertrain.

Beware you cannot upgrade to VCM Suite software/hardware once you have the VCM Scanner without paying full price of $499, so if you ever plan to play with tuning - then buy the suite. As I understand it, there is a difference in the hardware.

Best software I have heard of seems to be the Autoenginuity. I don't have it, but from their website it seems it will even monitor things like encoder motor position sensor to do actual factory diagnostic charts.

If I remember correctly the procedure for case relearn that you mentioned is for a few select trucks.

If you have trouble getting the case relearn procedure to function, don't keep doing it again and again with the SES light on. With a warm engine make sure ebrake is on enough to light the light - then shut off the ignition for some time, turn on ignition and clear codes. Start engine, hold footbrake down, trigger case relearn to start, and quickly rev engine to above 4000 RPM. If it doesn't immediately hit the fuel cutoff, let off!! If trying again clear the codes again. I have never been able to get the case relearn procedure to start otherwise, and it has immediately worked two times that I tried it this way. I think PCM requires no codes to be set or malfunctions detected in order to begin the procedure. Give the PCM enough time and/or ignition cycles to detect even a pending problem with misfire detection and it's a no-go. Captain, what do you think?

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-16-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 PM
BF Veteran

Should be getting my pcm back tues or weds. will install and do the relearn then update. Maybe video also

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I've never had a problem getting the relearn to "pass". Always works on the first try. When it prompts to bring rpm to 4K, I don't even come close to WOT. I bring it up slowly, over about 3 seconds, until the PCM shuts down the injectors, then let off the throttle completely.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:32 PM
BF Veteran

set parking break, step on brake,accelerate to 4000 rpm. Hint, dont take foot off brake LOL Thats why no video, but results!

Attached Thumbnails case relearn-13256087_10208776189939228_8049719656788484913_n.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 06:33 PM
BF Veteran

set parking break, step on brake,accelerate to 4000 rpm. Hint, dont take foot off brake LOL Thats why no video, but results!

Attached Thumbnails case relearn-13256087_10208776189939228_8049719656788484913_n.jpg  
Old 05-17-2016, 08:19 PM

Bingo! Piece of cake. Now check out camshaft retard and adjust if necessary. I think you'll find it under the "Misfire" menu, all the way at the bottom.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:23 PM
BF Veteran

Initial test run, smoother acceleration, shift point better, as in in doesn't up and downshift as much. On the highw good acceleration when passing. Happy so far

Old 05-17-2016, 08:38 PM

Yup, noticeable performance increase pretty much tells you that it was off.... and NO check engine light! I hate to think how many other members need it done.

Quick Reply: case relearn