2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter plugged o2 sensors bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Starting Member
soopahmario is on a distinguished road
Default Catalytic Converter plugged o2 sensors bad

I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer 4door 4wd. Recently took it to the dealer because my car wasnt accelerating and was eating gas. They did a diagnostic and said the Cat was plugged and the o2 sensors were bad. He then quoted me a price $1900, which I believe is BS.

What can I do?

Ive been looking at these parts to buy. tell me if im looking for the right thing. Do i need to buy o2 sensors separate or are they with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-20...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

Thank you for the help.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to get the O2 sensors separately. Do yourself a favor and get AC Delco sensors.

Either of those will work, however, the universal one requires welding and some other fab work to your current y-pipe.

Old 03-15-2010, 02:10 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by soopahmario
I have a 2002 Chevy Blazer 4door 4wd. Recently took it to the dealer because my car wasnt accelerating and was eating gas. They did a diagnostic and said the Cat was plugged and the o2 sensors were bad. He then quoted me a price $1900, which I believe is BS.

What can I do?

Ive been looking at these parts to buy. tell me if im looking for the right thing. Do i need to buy o2 sensors separate or are they with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-20...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Magna...Q5fAccessories

Thank you for the help.
You have a fault which is enabling max fuel trim on the injector pulsewidth. Maxing fuel will foul the O2's in short order.

And it will get a MAJOR grub-on the gas...

Old 03-15-2010, 02:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

While I agree that if it is dumping in max fuel, it will suck on the wallet and foul out the O2 sensors (along with the plugs and the catalytic converter), it is a stretch to say that the PCM is now commanding max fuel. One could check if that was indeed the case with a scan tool by looking at the short term and long term fuel trims.

It could be a bad O2 sensor caused over fueling and subsequently resulted in the demise of the catalytic converter, or it could be the other way around with the catalytic converter causing a failure of the O2 sensors. Without the codes and test results done to date, it is difficult to say which. One of those chicken/egg scenarios.