2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Center console

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2023, 09:42 AM
kgrohmann is on a distinguished road
Default Center console

Hey everyone, didn't see a specific place for interior questions so put it in general. I'm looking to replace the lid on the center console of my 2001 xtreme but the only replacement I can find is a Dorman that seems to have a different shape and latch than the one I have. This is my 6th s10 blazer and I've never seen one with this console lid. Any help would be appreciated

Old 03-04-2023, 10:11 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road

Without the latch you might have to come up with a velcro or magnet solution to keep the lid down securely.

Old 03-04-2023, 01:24 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

If the issue is the crack or that the lid has lost its structure, some of us have had success with repairing the plastic.

Old 03-05-2023, 02:25 PM
Stovey will become famous soon enough

I bought one from e-bay, but it was a little pricey.

Old 03-05-2023, 08:22 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

My latch hasn't worked for a number of years now, so I just let gravity keep it down. As christine has said, they can be repaired and there are a couple of threads on here that cover the repair.

Old 03-15-2023, 08:27 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

I just ordered and rec'd one center console from E Bay Motors and have had good results. It was pricey at $74.xx with shipping included but tax added. It was brand new manuf, not a 'salvage yard' recovery. It has three screws to unscew and replace. I also bought several other items for my 2003 LS 2 door Blazer: both dash mtd. speaker grilles, and the center dash mtd. HVAC vent. These were also brand new manuf. and fit well. These were also inexpensive in cost. My only caution is the color. My interior is a light gray. The items sent were called by the E bay Motors suppliers a Charcoal color. This charcoal is a dark gray. and did not match my light gray interior. I don't think that they offer a light grey color that they call 'Graphite'......I ordered and rec'd the 2 spkr grilles and the one center HVAC dash vent and they came in 'CHARCOAL' . The center mounted console was also Charcoal. They do not match my interior perfectly. But, guess what, they 'complement' the lighter gray interior and I am now very happy with them. The fit, the cost, the fact that they are new and not a salvage piece makes up for the color not a perfect match.
I now have a Chevy S-10 pick up truck with extended cab. That means it has a third door on the driver's side. That door is operated by a hidden door handle in the door jam. It came originally with a plastic handle that is prone to crack and break. I got a new 'upgraded' complete 3rd door handle assy. with a metal handle. This fit perfectly and was easy to install. It came in the Universal Black color so color was not a problem. Total price was less than $16.00. or so.

Old 03-16-2023, 08:16 PM

I just today went to the E bay Motors page and verified the center console price was list $72.88 with free shipping. They do tack on sales tax.so it was a total of roughly $76.xx. The console was a 'Charcoal grey' as I mentioned above and it was genuine vinyl covering, not leather. Since the metal frame you have is probably intact---except for the flimsy plastic latch that gets broken off in 20 + years-- you could go to a local auto or boat upholstery shop and have it done. It did bother me that the old arm rest aka center mounted console was not latched and therefore unsecured and wobbled. I was happy to pay for a complete console lid that was not cracked , faded, or discolored and Latched Properly. Again it looked like it was an OEM manufactured product and fit and installed in a snap. Please let me know what you paid if you had it re-upholstered.
I am so pleased with the products and shipping performance of E Bay Motors. Be sure I have no connection with E Bay in any way.

Old 03-16-2023, 09:13 PM

I just went to the E Bay site for the second gen center console posted here.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/36418135834...0000&ch=osgood

It says three things: 1./ The price was $72.88, 2./ the condition was used, and 3./ the color was Graphite /light grey. From my experiences, I agree with only No. 1. My console was brand new and in the dark grey color called Charcoal. You may want to look at all the offered consoles for Condition and color.