2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Change Fuel pump assembly or pump ONLY

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Change Fuel pump assembly or pump ONLY

There has been a lot of talk about "changing the fuel pump" for hard start situations, BUT does that automatically mean changing the whole fuel pump assembly OR can you just change out the fuel pump itself? Reason I ask is that I found a website that sells fuel pumps for all makes of vehicles and Blazers are on the list. This is just the pump itself, not all the other stuff or the whole assembly that actually connects to the tank. Anybody change out JUST the actual fuel pump itself?

Fuel pump assembly = $218.99 + dollars (Advance Auto Parts), fuel pump alone (with gaskets, O-rings, etc) = $108.00 dollars.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Change Fuel pump assembly or pump ONLY

as long as you can physicaly seperate the two (sending unit from the pump) ie they are not one piece, then you can replace only the pump and be fine. granted that is the problem. also check the local auto parts stores they might have just the pump for cheep, and you wont have to pay shipping.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

We really need to know the application (ie year) you are speaking of. The newer '95+ have a plastic shell that houses the pump and sending unit. The sending units are now replaceable separate of the fuel pump assembly, however, to replace the fuel pump itself, you get the whole assembly including a new sending unit.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, it makes sense to replace the whole fuel pump assembly since your yanking the thing out anyway, SO, what brand it considered good? The best price I've found on the internet is at Advance Auto for a "Master" fuel pump assembly. Is this unit any better or worse than any other? It claims to have all the attributes of an OEM part, but we all should know that can be a crock of you what! I've also found "Carter", but they are pricey at over $300 and I've heard some not so great things about them. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

1996 T10 Blazer, 102K miles, bought used but is being maintained by me now and all bad things are being fixed/replaced as necessary, as they present themselves.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:01 PM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

i believe a master is what i put i my camaro it worked fine. i only had it for 2 years after i replaced the pump but it worked fine for that time.