2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Changing the Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2007, 12:46 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Changing the Fuel Filter

Ok well I have done a search on this and know how to do it I think but have a few questions.

1. Where can I get a new fuel filter, Wal Mart?
2. Where is the fuel pressure release valve?

Old 01-21-2007, 12:59 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Changing the Fuel Filter

I got mine at Murray's, it was a FRAM and it's still workin out fine. I think you might be able to get them at walmart, you should be able to get them at pretty much any autoparts store. I know that walmart has an auto parts section but I haven't been there in a while so I don't know if they will have the filters.

When I changed mine a couple weeks ago I never even found that darn valve, but I did open the gas cap in an effort to release pressure. This helped a lot and I think it might have even released all of it. A little gas came out when I unhooked the filter but I think that was just the normal amount in the line. None sprayed out it was just a trickle and I didn't have any hissing noise coming out of the connection. Hope this helps!

Old 01-21-2007, 01:02 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok wait, so you didnt do anything with the fuel pressure release valve even though you found it? Instead you just took the cap off the fuel tank?

Old 01-21-2007, 01:26 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuel pressure is contained within the metal lines of the FI system and removing the gas cap should not affect that. To release pressure, you need to release the pressure within the lines. I don't know the spec on that system's pressure but most FI systems run more than 40 PSI, which is enough to spray gas pretty vigorously.

The pressure release valve is in the fuel lines on the driver's side rear corner of the motor. There are two metal fuel lines running from the top of intake manifold back there, parallel to the side of the valve cover. At the rear of the engine, they go through a bracket and angle down the firewall at a pretty steep angle. The relief valve is found before those lines go through the bracket, and should have a black plastic cap screwed down over it to keep the valve clean - it looks a lot like a tire valve, and is about the same size. At least, that's where it is on a '97.

When I replaced the intake manifold gaskets on that vehicle, I just removed the black cap, wrapped the lines in an old T-shirt, and pressed the valve with a fingernail. Yes, it sprayed some gas, but big hairy deal. Just don't get shot in the face or make sparks. Put the black cap back on the valve when you're done!

Old 01-21-2007, 03:30 PM
Beginning Member
blazinwoody is an unknown quantity at this point

Removing the gas cap is only going to remove the pressure in the gas tank which isnt going to help out a lot since the fuel filter is on the frame rail. I don't know what year you have but some systems release the pressure automatically when the ignition is turned off. you could pull the pump fuse also and turn her on till she shuts down if you want

Old 01-21-2007, 05:01 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

when it comes to the 4.3 only the tbi's have a constant bleed feature which releases the pressure when the ignition is shut off. the central multiport systems reguire you to either hook up a pressure gauge to the schrader valve and use its bleeder valve to run the fuel into a container or just to use a screw driver a nd alot of rags to realease the fuel.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Or you could just pull the fuel pump relay and try to start it... This is by far my favorite option and I have a fuel pressure gauge that I could use, but then I'd have to clean it out...

You can pick up a replacement fuel filter at any autoparts retailer.