2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
ntjoe, Keep in mind that RPO code NP8 is a 2 speed, Auto transfer case, (NV236). Your Bravada has either RPO code NP3 or NP4 which are single speed, SmartTrak, transfer cases, (NV136). Diagnostics are similar, but not the same.
Thanks...good points that I didn't consider. I am so tempted to find older case that's the full time AWD (Borg and Wagner) and put it in and be done with it, or find a manual shift one and the shafts and cut a hole in the floor and be done with it.....

Oh well. I'll see what I can do with the terminal app and dig around on it. I am going to pull the TCCM later and see which one it is, as Rockauto lists several models as compatible for the Bravada. If they are similar then I would suspect that some of the diagnostics would be very similar.

Last edited by ntjoe; 04-14-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:30 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You'll need to make sure the Borg Warner transfer case is compatible with your TCCM and wiring. Standard transfer case in your 2001 Bravada is NV, (New Venture) and there are differences. Don't want to get off topic in this thread, if you want to discuss it more, you need to start a new thread

Old 04-15-2016, 09:31 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
You'll need to make sure the Borg Warner transfer case is compatible with your TCCM and wiring. Standard transfer case in your 2001 Bravada is NV, (New Venture) and there are differences. Don't want to get off topic in this thread, if you want to discuss it more, you need to start a new thread
Thanks for the input

I have been playing around a little more with Car Gauge Pro as this post has caused me to get interested in it again. Here are some gauges I am able to get some data from using the Powertrain Module:

Last Shift Time ( in seconds)
Torque Converter Efficiency (in percentage)
Transfer Case Ratio (in degrees - I see from 0.2 to 0.5 regularly)
Transmission Fluid Temperature (in degrees)
Slip Counter (number)
Intake Air Temp (in degrees)
Fuel Tank Capacity (in gallons)

Very happy with some of the transmission stuff, including the temp.

I'm with you Les, I have been unable to get anything to work in any other module. The transmission ones surprise me a bid, and the fact that there is a transfer case ratio says there is some communication there (albeit if its anything of substance remains to be seen).

On the Activate Components portion in Diagnostics, I have been able to turn the fuel pump on and off, and when I tried to trigger the ABS light, it would turn the Service Engine Light on and off.

Last edited by ntjoe; 04-15-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:07 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ntjoe
Thanks for the input

I have been playing around a little more with Car Gauge Pro as this post has caused me to get interested in it again. Here are some gauges I am able to get some data from using the Powertrain Module:

Last Shift Time ( in seconds)
Torque Converter Efficiency (in percentage)
Transfer Case Ratio (in degrees - I see from 0.2 to 0.5 regularly)
Transmission Fluid Temperature (in degrees)
Slip Counter (number)
Intake Air Temp (in degrees)
Fuel Tank Capacity (in gallons)

Very happy with some of the transmission stuff, including the temp.

I'm with you Les, I have been unable to get anything to work in any other module. The transmission ones surprise me a bid, and the fact that there is a transfer case ratio says there is some communication there (albeit if its anything of substance remains to be seen).

On the Activate Components portion in Diagnostics, I have been able to turn the fuel pump on and off, and when I tried to trigger the ABS light, it would turn the Service Engine Light on and off.
I have found the tap cells and shift times for the transmission pretty interesting since I just had my tranny rebuilt. Keep in mind that this software was geared towards later model Ford/Nissan. Indeed the ABS and SIR modules work on my 2008 Ranger.

You do know that you can easily look at a table of multiple PIDs in diagnostics without making a gauge, but only after you are connected to the vehicle does the choice come up?

If you try the GM transfer case module, Car Gauge Pro finds the TCCM at the correct address but none of the PIDs work.

I did download a couple of Android terminal apps and can connect to the bluetooth OBD2 device and send the standard ELM327 commands to the computer and get back a response, but I have not yet figured out how to enter the hexadecimal commands to get responses for retrieving/clearing transfer case codes like I did in ScanXLPro on my laptop using the USB OBDSX device. I did have to select custom terminal in Scan XL Pro. Something about the format the commands are in it seems. I'm not enough of a computer geek to easily figure it out. Anyone out there know what my problem might be? I did find your Olds listed together with the 4-button Blazer for codes on the Dorman site, so I think retrieving/clearng TCCM codes are probably the same. Diagnosis charts should be similar but undoubtedly with some differences.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-15-2016 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:28 PM
Starting Member

Yes, I saw the table of PID's in diagnostic....I am pretty visual though so I tend to stick with the gauges

I noticed that with the Transfer Case Module...surprising that it some TCCM functionality is in the Powertrain module, however again what the data actually points to is up for debate at this point. I plan to try some of the terminal apps this weekend when I can sit in there and work on it.

I think we are at that stage with these 2nd gen blazer/bravadas that we can get just enough cool data to wet our appetites and do a lot, but not enough to do EVERYTHING we want without more costly apps and options...course that's me just being greedy I suppose.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:36 PM

Yes, I saw the table of PID's in diagnostic....I am pretty visual though so I tend to stick with the gauges

I noticed that with the Transfer Case Module...surprising that it some TCCM functionality is in the Powertrain module, however again what the data actually points to is up for debate at this point. I plan to try some of the terminal apps this weekend when I can sit in there and work on it.

I think we are at that stage with these 2nd gen blazer/bravadas that we can get just enough cool data to wet our appetites and do a lot, but not enough to do EVERYTHING we want without more costly apps and options...course that's me just being greedy I suppose.
I started out with Torque Pro, which is a pretty nice little app in itself. I have three softwares that will do cam retard on the Blazer (Car Gauge Pro, Scan XL Pro, and HP Tuners). Only HP Tuners with it's proprietary interface will do the crank sensor learn, injector balance tests, control the transmission, turn things on/off, etc on the Blazer. They cost $8.95, $150, and $350 respectively.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
I started out with Torque Pro, which is a pretty nice little app in itself. I have three softwares that will do cam retard on the Blazer (Car Gauge Pro, Scan XL Pro, and HP Tuners). Only HP Tuners with it's proprietary interface will do the crank sensor learn, injector balance tests, control the transmission, turn things on/off, etc on the Blazer. They cost $8.95, $150, and $350 respectively.
HP Tuners has piqued my interest. Do you feel that it was worth what you paid for it? I see if on Summit's site for $349 (can't get to the HP Tuner site as I am at work and its blocked - guess I should be working). I plan to keep my Bravada as long as possible as my father in law bought it new and I got it from him in 2011. I still have the original window sticker for it and its in great shape overall, but getting the normal bugs that would come up on a 15 year old vehicle with 270k on the clock.

The functionality of CGP and Torque Pro (have both) on the go is awesome for on the spot diagnostics, but I am not opposed to having that deeper level of functionality. Can it control the transfer case at all?

Old 04-15-2016, 02:02 PM

HP Tuners has piqued my interest. Do you feel that it was worth what you paid for it? I see if on Summit's site for $349 (can't get to the HP Tuner site as I am at work and its blocked - guess I should be working). I plan to keep my Bravada as long as possible as my father in law bought it new and I got it from him in 2011. I still have the original window sticker for it and its in great shape overall, but getting the normal bugs that would come up on a 15 year old vehicle with 270k on the clock.

The functionality of CGP and Torque Pro (have both) on the go is awesome for on the spot diagnostics, but I am not opposed to having that deeper level of functionality. Can it control the transfer case at all?
I don't know this for fact, but I doubt it. There was about 5 screens of controls with various buttons to click on /etc. I can say that I could completely control the tranny and torque converter, but doubt they have the market type to use the transfer case. I have also heard good things about Autoenginuity and EFI LIVE, but don't know much about either one. I have only used HP Tuners to do crank sensor relearn and injector balance tests don't like to drag out the laptop and the hardwire OBD2 adapter unless I have to. Only software I regret buying is Scan XL Pro, but I guess I did use it's OBD2 terminal to diagnose my 4WD. I've been curious about the Tech2 clones, but currently don't have any problems to diagnose to justify the $300+.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:12 AM
DCR 1979 Z28 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Quick and Dirty How to make Dashboard Screens

* Connect/GM Powertrain/Full Auto Scan/OBDII/select the shown address
* Let software scan the available PIDs
* Save PIDlist to a filename of your choice.

Now you don't have to be connected to the vehicle to do the rest so disconnect and go back into the house.

* Connect/GM Powertrain/no scan/import PIDs /import from file/select your PIDlistfilename

To make a CMP Retard gauge like mine

Select Dashboard

* go to a blank page
* tap in top right corner of the screen
* select add gauge
* select CMP Retard* from available PID list
* Check Digital
* Select Add

Then to make a misfire counter like mine

* select Misfire #1 from available PID list
* Select Add

Repeat last steps again for each of the other desired misfire counters

When done hit your back button on your phone and the Add gauge screen will disappear.

Press on a gauge you wish to move until Display config appears.

* select Drag and Move
* Drag the gauge to the position where you want the gauge on the screen.

Repeat until you have the gauges where you want them on the screen.

To save your profile, touch the top right of your screen, select Guage profile/save/tell it where to store it/type in a name/hit save.

Now you can select from multiple gauge profiles by name by touching the top right of the screen, selecting gauge profile, and recalling the file.

I am not doing something right, because the only gauges that it shows under added pids is RPM (1) ECT (2) IAT(3). when it scans for available PIDS it doesn't show the cam retard, and I am not sure of how to save the PID list. Any help you can give me would be great.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by DCR 1979 Z28
I am not doing something right, because the only gauges that it shows under added pids is RPM (1) ECT (2) IAT(3). when it scans for available PIDS it doesn't show the cam retard, and I am not sure of how to save the PID list. Any help you can give me would be great.
Connected to the vehicle.
* Connect/GM Powertrain/Full Auto Scan/OBDII/select the shown address
* Let software scan the available PIDs
* Save PIDlist to a filename of your choice.
I don't know how to make this any clearer.

I guess I did forget to state that when you go back in the house to build your gauges, you need to first:

* Connect/GM Powertrain/NoScan/IMportPIDs Offline/Import from file/select your PID file......... Then open dashboard. Now all the available PIDs should be under Available PIDs.

After you have built your gauges, you save the gauge profile to a file and you can always easily recall it.

Hope this helps. If all else fails, PM me and we will go through it together on the telephone during an evening.

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-18-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard