2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 08:40 AM
DCR 1979 Z28 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Connected to the vehicle.
* Connect/GM Powertrain/Full Auto Scan/OBDII/select the shown address
* Let software scan the available PIDs
* Save PIDlist to a filename of your choice.
I don't know how to make this any clearer.

I guess I did forget to state that when you go back in the house to build your gauges, you need to first:

* Connect/GM Powertrain/NoScan/IMportPIDs Offline/Import from file/select your PID file......... Then open dashboard. Now all the available PIDs should be under Available PIDs.

Hope this helps. If all else fails, PM me and we will go through it together on the telephone during an evening.

I think I am not sure where to select "GM powertrain" and "full auto scan", and where do I select the "address". Thanks for you fast reply I was trying to do this last night about midnight and that was part of my problem. I am going to try again tonight after I get home from work.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:52 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DCR 1979 Z28
I think I am not sure where to select "GM powertrain" and "full auto scan", and where do I select the "address". Thanks for you fast reply I was trying to do this last night about midnight and that was part of my problem. I am going to try again tonight after I get home from work.
This is done when you first connect to the vehicle. If successfully connecting, an address (number) should appear after you select OBD2 in this sequence of selections.

"Connect/GM Powertrain/Full Auto Scan/OBDII/select the shown address"

After it scans the Pids you should be able to save the PID file and the connect button should change to "connected".

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-18-2016 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Connected to the vehicle.
* Connect/GM Powertrain/Full Auto Scan/OBDII/select the shown address
* Let software scan the available PIDs
* Save PIDlist to a filename of your choice.
I don't know how to make this any clearer.

I guess I did forget to state that when you go back in the house to build your gauges, you need to first:

* Connect/GM Powertrain/NoScan/IMportPIDs Offline/Import from file/select your PID file......... Then open dashboard. Now all the available PIDs should be under Available PIDs.

After you have built your gauges, you save the gauge profile to a file and you can always easily recall it.

Hope this helps. If all else fails, PM me and we will go through it together on the telephone during an evening.
Ok I see the problem. Once I have plug in the BAFX OBD2 into the 'burb I turn the key on I search for bluetooth, and when it is sync'd I select connect at the bottom of the screen, and then I don't have the option "GM Powertrain" I only have choose device OBDII or import Pids (Offline)?

Old 04-19-2016, 10:51 AM

Ok I see the problem. Once I have plug in the BAFX OBD2 into the 'burb I turn the key on I search for bluetooth, and when it is sync'd I select connect at the bottom of the screen, and then I don't have the option "GM Powertrain" I only have choose device OBDII or import Pids (Offline)?
Something really wrong here. You don't have to be connected to the OBD2 device or be anywhere near a vehicle to get the GM Powertrain choice. What version of the software do you have? (click "about"). What happens if you click on OBDII?

Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by lesmyer
something really wrong here. You don't have to be connected to the obd2 device or be anywhere near a vehicle to get the gm powertrain choice. What version of the software do you have? (click "about"). What happens if you click on obdii?

Old 04-19-2016, 03:58 PM

That's the one. Check for a PM from me. let's take this offline.

Old 06-28-2016, 05:48 PM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

Hello Les, I've read thru all of this post and I seem to be connecting correctly. But, when the software scans for the pids, I get the message " no supported pids"
Any Ideas?
Thanks

Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Graveyard
Hello Les, I've read thru all of this post and I seem to be connecting correctly. But, when the software scans for the pids, I get the message " no supported pids"
Any Ideas?
Thanks
I'm wondering if Car Gauge pro is having trouble with first year 1996 OBD2. Seems like I heard this once before with 1996, but person disappeared before we had it resolved. If you have the generic functions like RPM then adapter and config should be OK. What you describe is how Car Gauge Pro connects to my 2006 Pontiac G6 - generic only - no extended GM PIDs - developer of Car Gauge Pro told me it did not support GM extended PIDs for CAN protocol of my G6. I hate to say it but I may have steered you wrong with Car Gauge Pro for 1996 Blazer. I can say that it has worked on 2001 and 1999 for certain.

At this point I am wondering if Dash Command from Palmer Performance might be a better choice for 1996 Blazer GM extended PIDs. I believe they actually license them from the automakers. I wish I had a 1996 locally to check for you but unfortunately I don't. At this point I may have wasted your $8.95. Dash Command cost me $10 + $10 extra for the extended GM PIDs and it also does CMP retard on my 2001. If we can figure this out you could ask the developer of Car Gauge Pro to refund or fix and I would help support that (I have worked with him some). Would you be willing to try Dash Command at $20? Uses your BAFX adapter. Just trying to give you options.

Last edited by LesMyer; 06-28-2016 at 06:22 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:26 PM
Starting Member

Well, I sent an email to car pro about the issue. I suppose I'll give him a day or so to respond.
Thanks

Old 07-01-2016, 07:39 AM
Starting Member

Morning,
got my refund from pro gauge and purchased dash command and the gm pids. So now I can't seem to figure out how to add the cam retard offset gauge. All the other stuff seems to be working.
When I go into edit gauges, I can go into "general" and select the first setting which is cam retard. Then I select needle and name, so I have 3 lines that are set for the general cam retard. when I save, it always creates an rpm gauge.
Obviously I 'm not doing something right.
Thanks

Last edited by Graveyard; 07-01-2016 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard