2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2016, 10:47 AM
Starting Member
Graveyard is on a distinguished road

That's what I ended up doing. Dash command and then purchased the pids.

Old 09-15-2016, 01:23 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

By the way, I just tried Dash Command on my 2006 Pontiac G6 3.9 liter GTP last night. Never been able to connect for extended PIDs on it, using any Android app including Torque Pro. It is first year of CAN protocol.

Before only thing I had that would do extended PIDS on the G6 was Scan XL Pro and HP Tuners - both Windows programs. Car Gauge Pro would read codes and basic PIDs in Generic mode only on the G6. Torque Pro would not connect at all to the G6.

Had to pay another $10 for the 2006 PIDs in Dash Command, but works great with the G6. Interesting that the misfire gauges I made for the Blazer would not work for the G6 and vice versa. Had to make new gauges for the G6 and specify the 2006 PIDs. Looks like the PIDs can be quite different for the different years and vehicles, even if the function is exactly the same.

So moral of the story is the software has to support both the vehicle, the correct communication protocol, and the (correct) PID together. Just having one or the other does not make Jack happy!!

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-15-2016 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:44 AM
98 tahoe is on a distinguished road
Default C

Originally Posted by Lesmyer
Found inexpensive Android app ($8.95) that will read CMP Retard on my Blazer, using a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter clone (Amazon).

It's called Car Gauge Pro. A bit clunkier to use than Torque Pro, but it looks like it reads more PIDs. People tend to complain about the UI, but I don't see why. I bought it specifically to work on Ford/Nissan because of some advanced features it has there and found the GM enhanced PIDs to include the CMP retard as well (typically missing in the phone apps). I have verified that the CMP Retard PID works just fine.

Looks like it has capability to do ABS and a number of other systems as well (at least on something - maybe Ford only, maybe more - the system choices are there). Don't know how it works for that right now.

Pretty cool little Android app!
car gauge pro will it read cam retard on my 5.7 vortec?

Old 01-07-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by 98 tahoe
car gauge pro will it read cam retard on my 5.7 vortec?
98 up it will. If you want 1996/97 use Dash Command

Old 01-07-2018, 12:59 PM
98 tahoe is on a distinguished road

98 up it will. If you want 1996/97 use Dash Command
it's a 98 also will the app link via wifi or will it only link via bluetooth?

Old 01-08-2018, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by 98 tahoe
it's a 98 also will the app link via wifi or will it only link via bluetooth?
Bluetooth only.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:13 AM
telecaster is on a distinguished road

Bluetooth only.
once you use this,you'll never go back...the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry, had to say it. Won't roll without it. Thanks again, Les!

Old 01-10-2018, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by telecaster
once you use this,you'll never go back...the greatest thing since sliced bread. Sorry, had to say it. Won't roll without it. Thanks again, Les!
Hey, good to hear from you again! Been a while. I take it that your Blazer must have stayed fixed? I remember you as one of the success stories. Have you discovered that Car Gauge Pro will read/clear codes for other systems on the data bus (like the BCM, ABS, etc). At least it accurately found some problem BCM HVAC codes on my 2004 Avalanche. Unfortunately no PIDs for live data or control of these other systems. Only functions as a code reader/clearer for the other things. Just use Connect/GM/Scan all Faults or Connect/GM/Clear all Faults. One of these days I need to verify that it will read/clear TCCM codes (I'll have to pull a connector or something). I know it connects with the TCCM at the right address, but I previously only tried to run the canned GM transfer case module PIDs (unsuccessfully). Bet it will read/clear the TCCM codes - that would be something!

Last edited by LesMyer; 01-10-2018 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM

I have been able to absolutely confirm that Car Gauge Pro will turn the secondary air injection pump on/off on my 2001 Blazer and that it will turn the EVAP canister purge valve on/off on my 2004 Avalanche. I used it when I had problems in these areas. So it seems that at least limited bidirectional control is possible through Elm and Bluetooth and a cheap phone app. With Car Gauge Pro, it's a try it and see proposition. Now if we could just trigger the crank relearn with it.......

Last edited by LesMyer; 04-03-2018 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Starting Member
Devon Meredith is on a distinguished road
Default How do I access the CMP retard

Originally Posted by LesMyer
Found inexpensive Android app ($8.95) that will read CMP Retard on my Blazer, using a BAFX Bluetooth OBD2 adapter clone (Amazon).

It's called Car Gauge Pro. A bit clunkier to use than Torque Pro, but it looks like it reads more PIDs. People tend to complain about the UI, but I don't see why. I bought it specifically to work on Ford/Nissan because of some advanced features it has there and found the GM enhanced PIDs to include the CMP retard as well (typically missing in the phone apps). I have verified that the CMP Retard PID works just fine.

Looks like it has capability to do ABS and a number of other systems as well (at least on something - maybe Ford only, maybe more - the system choices are there). Don't know how it works for that right now.

Pretty cool little Android app!
I just downloaded the app to time my 5.7 swapped blazer. I cannot figure out how to access the CMP retard dial

Quick Reply: Cheap way to read Camshaft Retard