2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Check engine light flashes at highway speeds. Have run out of ideas. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:41 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Good luck with this! I'm rootin for ya!

Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ that makes two of us.

nothing worse than a problem that just won't be co-operative.

but then again, if it was all fun & games, we wouldn't have this beloved forum, would we.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
^^^ that makes two of us.

nothing worse than a problem that just won't be co-operative.

but then again, if it was all fun & games, we wouldn't have this beloved forum, would we.
Oh we would. I would just be lolcats and photography contests tho. And maybe the odd "What size tire with my lift?" thread lol

Old 02-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Okay guys, so I actually got a hold of my old shop teacher and he had a bore scope I could use. Yeah it had good amount of carbon build up from what we both saw. So I picked myself up some seafoam.

It doesn't really give much instructions, so I searched here and I found a couple of different responses. Some say use the whole thing down the brake booster line. Others say half vacuum and half in the oil. Then I found one that says 1/3 in each of those and the last 1/3 in the fuel.

What do you guys recommend I do?

Old 02-07-2010, 12:35 PM

I've heard of 1/3 in each as well. But I guess it depends where your problem is lol.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:42 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Oh we would. I would just be lol cats and photography contests tho. And maybe the odd "What size tire with my lift?" thread lol
too true!

Old 02-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Starting Member

so I seafoamed it. I put 1/4 in the tank, 1/4 in the oil, and 1/2 in the brake booster line. Filled up the property of our home with smoke for a good minute or so.

Quick quesition, the SES light came on when I put it in the vacuum line. Is that normal?

Also, how long should I drive it around town before I take it on the freeway and see how it does?

Last edited by tazz9690; 02-07-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With yours, I would have dumped the whole bottle down the throttle body. Warm the engine up to normal operating temperature and then shut it off. Disconnect the MAF sensor and pull off the intake duct from the throttle body. Start the engine and pour it in slowly. Enough to make it run really, really rough, but not stall. Once you get down to about a 1/4 bottle left, dump it in rather quickly, allowing the engine to stall as you dump the last bit in. Let it sit for 20-30 minutes to soak in and then go flog the living crap out of it (safely)!

Old 02-07-2010, 04:35 PM
Starting Member

Thanks Kyle. I bought 2 so I will do it when i get home. If the light comes on, do I ignore it?

Old 02-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't ignore it if you are having noticeable performance impact when the light is blinking. Your next step may be to get a full function scan tool and monitor the various sensors and systems to see if anything weird happens.

Quick Reply: Check engine light flashes at highway speeds. Have run out of ideas. Help please.