2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Chevy Blazer ZR 1999 doesn't start / fuel or vaccum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The spec for the fuel pressure at the fuel filter output is 73-106 psi. 70 psi is on the low side. Mine is around 90 psi if I remember correctly.

My suggestion of verifying pressure with a second pressure gauge is because I thought that the readings and leakdown is always the same even after replacing everything. It sounds like that may not be true and I misunderstood.

if you don’t hold pressure at the fuel filter and you don’t have an external leak then the pressure is not holding inside the tank. It’s either leaking through one of the hoses or back through the pump.

i agree that you need to get your system voltage straightened out.

George

Old 07-01-2020, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Yes you are correct. I misread his symptoms.

Do what George suggested!
No problem, we are all trying to help.

George

Old 07-02-2020, 12:45 AM
Beginning Member
FrenchZR2 is on a distinguished road

Okay, the battery is very bad. It no longer charges 100% disconnected from the car with a smart charger.
I had a 62ah (3 years old) and I did not find locally a 75ah with positive terminal on the left. You have to order it and that, I did it myself ... delivery in a few days.

The pump should therefore not receive the necessary amount of electricity.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:00 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the same issue with my brother in laws 2004 alero, he has a power drain somewhere when the car is off, so the battery needs to be jumped in order to have enough power for the pump.

he is at the point where he is going to disconnect the battery when he parks.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 PM
Starting Member
boudreaux55 is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel pressure leak

Just a thought frenchy, when you replaced the tank and fuel pump, did you get the large "o" ring at the pump installed properly?

Boudreaux

Old 07-03-2020, 02:32 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
Sounds like the same issue with my brother in laws 2004 alero, he has a power drain somewhere when the car is off, so the battery needs to be jumped in order to have enough power for the pump.

yes, it was the impression that I had and that led me to check the battery. what is certain is that it no longer charges fully. so I'm waiting for the new battery to check this.
Originally Posted by boudreaux55
Just a thought frenchy, when you replaced the tank and fuel pump, did you get the large "o" ring at the pump installed properly?
Yes, I have installed the O-ring correctly. This is the second time I have changed this pump and I have put everything in the right place. Connectors are very inaccessible on the ZR LS

On the other hand, I returned the old pump under warranty to rockauto before having a new one, and I forgot the 2 small plastic stops of the connectors on the pump ... Big galley ... I indicated the problem with Rockauto customer service. They have not been very effective on this problem. First, they didn't tell me they sold them in universal parts. Then I asked them to send them back to me if possible. 15 days later the return center sent the stops to the head office who asked me $ 16 to send them back to me. I found that they could have sent them back to me directly from the return center and paid $ 10 ... I bought almost $ 5000 of spare parts from them since I got this Blazer. Often, the parts are defective and I have to send them back by paying customs fees to receive the new parts without being reimbursed for the customs fees of the previous ones ... I received a complete POWERSTOP brake kit with a 4mm twisted caliper , front wheel bearings that heat up, a fuel pump that lasts 3 years ... In short, I'm not happy with Rockauto! I told them and they don't understand my dissatisfaction ...

I ended up ordering the new stops after 3 weeks of waiting.

Boudreaux[/QUOTE]

​​​​​​​

Old 07-03-2020, 02:34 AM
Beginning Member

yes, it was the impression that I had and that led me to check the battery. what is certain is that it no longer charges fully. so I'm waiting for the new battery to check this.
Yes, I have installed the O-ring correctly. This is the second time I have changed this pump and I have put everything in the right place. Connectors are very inaccessible on the ZR LS

On the other hand, I returned the old pump under warranty to rockauto before having a new one, and I forgot the 2 small plastic stops of the connectors on the pump ... Big galley ... I indicated the problem with Rockauto customer service. They have not been very effective on this problem. First, they didn't tell me they sold them in universal parts. Then I asked them to send them back to me if possible. 15 days later the return center sent the stops to the head office who asked me $ 16 to send them back to me. I found that they could have sent them back to me directly from the return center and paid $ 10 ... I bought almost $ 5000 of spare parts from them since I got this Blazer. Often, the parts are defective and I have to send them back by paying customs fees to receive the new parts without being reimbursed for the customs fees of the previous ones ... I received a complete POWERSTOP brake kit with a 4mm twisted caliper , front wheel bearings that heat up, a fuel pump that lasts 3 years ... In short, I'm not happy with Rockauto! I told them and they don't understand my dissatisfaction ...

Old 07-03-2020, 02:36 AM
Beginning Member

Old 07-03-2020, 02:45 AM
Beginning Member

On the other hand, I returned the old pump under warranty to rockauto before having a new one, and I forgot the 2 small plastic stops of the connectors on the pump ... Big galley ... I indicated the problem with Rock auto customer service. They have not been very effective on this problem. First, they didn't tell me they sold them in universal parts. Then I asked them to send them back to me if possible. 15 days later the return center sent the stops to the head office who asked me $ 16 to send them back to me. I found that they could have sent them back to me directly from the return center and paid $ 10 ... I bought almost $ 5000 of spare parts from them since I got this Blazer. Often, the parts are defective and I have to send them back by paying customs fees to receive the new parts without being reimbursed for the customs fees of the previous ones ... I received a complete POWER STOP brake kit with a 4mm twisted caliper , front wheel bearings that heat up, a fuel pump that lasts 3 years ... In short, I'm not happy with Rock auto! I told them and they don't understand my dissatisfaction ...

Old 07-03-2020, 07:35 AM
Starting Member
boudreaux55 is on a distinguished road

Im gonna swing for the fence here frenchy..
What condition is the gas cap?
Perhaps im crazy, but ive heard a bad gas cap wont hold the tanks pressure.
Good luck, Viva La France

Quick Reply: Chevy Blazer ZR 1999 doesn't start / fuel or vaccum leak?