2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Clean out your A/C evaporator core

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2019 | 07:32 PM
|
Beginning Member
laxman21 is on a distinguished road
Default Clean out your A/C evaporator core

When you finally have to replace your blower fan, don’t forget to clean out all the debris that is stuck inside because Chevy didn’t put in a filter. This is a 99 blazer.

now this was after I pulled some out and stuck the shop vac hose in.

Old 09-21-2019 | 07:50 PM
|
Beginning Member

If you don't need to replace your fan, just take this part out. I looked in my shop manual and couldn't find the name of this part but it's what plugs into the blower motor. remove it with 3 7/32 screws for better access. Looks like its the blower motor resistor on the auto HVAC. So you are out of luck if you have manual controls. Shop manual has same directions for manual and auto for the resistor which is wrong as they are in different locations and a different part. Rock auto had the picture to confirm that part.

I used a nylon brush used to clean refrigerator coils.

Last edited by laxman21; 09-21-2019 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-21-2019 | 11:19 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by laxman21
If you don't need to replace your fan, just take this part out. I looked in my shop manual and couldn't find the name of this part but it's what plugs into the blower motor. remove it with 3 7/32 screws for better access. Looks like its the blower motor resistor on the auto HVAC. So you are out of luck if you have manual controls. Shop manual has same directions for manual and auto for the resistor which is wrong as they are in different locations and a different part. Rock auto had the picture to confirm that part.

I used a nylon brush used to clean refrigerator coils.

Ditto on cleaning out the debris. I pulled out 6 good handfuls when I replaced my blower motor.

Every now and then I take out the grill below the windshield and clean out underneath it too.

Old 09-30-2019 | 04:28 PM
|
Beginning Member

Old 10-08-2019 | 07:50 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

Christine and laxman, I have a 2003 Blazer that is always parked outside under a lot of trees. Here in SC, we have been in a drought and a severely hot summer and the trees are prematurely dropping their leaves. I know my Blazer is packed with pine needles, cedar leaves and other leaves. But I cannot locate that access door with the three bolts to get to them. Am I missing it or did GM not provide that access panel in the 2003 model? I wish this old Blazer did have the filter. But this cleaning should help the A/C continue to blow cold air. I like that photo of the thermometer showing a cold 32*. TIA for your help. Jim

Old 10-08-2019 | 08:24 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Christine and laxman, I have a 2003 Blazer that is always parked outside under a lot of trees. Here in SC, we have been in a drought and a severely hot summer and the trees are prematurely dropping their leaves. I know my Blazer is packed with pine needles, cedar leaves and other leaves. But I cannot locate that access door with the three bolts to get to them. Am I missing it or did GM not provide that access panel in the 2003 model? I wish this old Blazer did have the filter. But this cleaning should help the A/C continue to blow cold air. I like that photo of the thermometer showing a cold 32*. TIA for your help. Jim
That access door is the mounting point for a solid state HVAC fan control module for systems that have the "Computer Climate Control". This is the system that will keep the cabin at a given temperature. The non-computer HVAC systems instead have a fan control with only 3 or 4 fixed fan speeds with a resistor block that is mounted on the other side of the evaporator. So if your Blazer has the later system, you would not have the fan control module.

The only option is to access the exterior side of the evaporator by removing the blower fan