2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

clinking noise from the front end?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 09:21 PM
johnny97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default clinking noise from the front end?

when i go over bumps i hear a clinking noise like something is loose, but after a carful inspection the results were negative. Do you think it can be my ball joints?

1997 blazer
4.3L, 4x4
4 door

Old 08-22-2007, 08:10 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: clinking noise from the front end?

Ball joints are typically a thud or thunk, not a tick/click. Does the clicking change with speed - Get faster with faster speeds, slower with slower speeds?? Does it change with the intensity of the bump? Does it sound more like sheetmetal vibrating against something?

I know that after I replaced my shocks on my old Bravada, I thought I got the shock mounting bolts tight (and they were tight), but they weren't tight enough to tighten up the shocks in their mounts. I got an annoying rattle that just would not go away. I ended up having to shim the shock in its mount to get rid of the rattle because I couldn't tighten down the mounting bolts enough to pull the bracket in tight to the smaller aftermarket shock mount.

I recommend that you check everything over again. Make sure that all of your skid plates are tight. If need be, have a hammer handy to lightly hit things to see if they make the noise you were experiencing.

Good luck!