Steering, Suspension & Drivetrain Questions about your steering, suspension, axles, and/or transfer case? Post up here.

Noise coming from front end... please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 06:21 PM
desertirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Noise coming from front end... please help

I have a 1996 4 dr, 4wd with the 4.3. There is a vibrating humming noise coming from the front end. You can hear it from about 40 up to 60, being the loudest at 50. If the truck bounces up, noise goes away and comes back when the truck comes down. Also, the noise will go away if I make a right turn, stays there in a left turn. This is really bothering me, nobody can tell me what it is without me spending 75-100$ an hour... can't do that. Any help would be appreciated. Thank everyone.

Old 01-24-2005, 04:12 PM
ballpark is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Noise coming from front end... please help

Sorry to say the problem is a bad wheel bearing. It sounds like it is just starting to go bad. Pretty soon you will hear it at all speeds. Sounds like its the passenger side being that when you make a right turn you are taking the load off of the passenger side wheel causing the sound to dissapear. Cost: If you get it done at the dealer around $500. If you buy the part alone its $220 and comes with a new ABS sensor (if you don't have ABS I bet the part is cheaper). I just replaced mine, took about 1.5 hours. Let me know if you need more information, or instructions to replace it.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:38 PM
brownee is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the exact same problem. Can you please forward me the details on how to fix it.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

It can be bad tire balance or bad tire to so don't rule this one out either. Make sure you have all the balancers on the rims and check your tires for any bubbles.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:46 PM

Even if you can hear it from about 40 up to 60, being the loudest at 50. If the truck bounces up, noise goes away and comes back when the truck comes down. Also, the noise will go away if I make a right turn, stays there in a left turn.

Could this still be a balance problem or is it definitely a bad bering?

Old 01-18-2006, 08:50 PM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point

If your are lucky its just a balance or bad tire but I really can't tell from your disriptions. One of my cars did that and I changed the front tires to the back and then the back started to do it so it was a bad balance try that changing your tires to the back.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Can you feel the vibration through the steering wheel or through the seat?

Wheel bearings can be checked fairly easily by jacking up the suspect corner and putting your hands at 12 & 6 o'clock and pull out at the top while you push in at the bottom, then push in at the top and pull out at the bottom. If the wheel moves, your wheel bearing is bad.

The thing with this problem that leads me away from an out of balance wheel is that it goes away when the suspension rises over a bump, relieving pressure off of the wheel, but I have to wait to hear back from the two of them about where they are feeling the vibration through.

Old 01-18-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: brownee

Even if you can hear it from about 40 up to 60, being the loudest at 50. If the truck bounces up, noise goes away and comes back when the truck comes down. Also, the noise will go away if I make a right turn, stays there in a left turn.

Could this still be a balance problem or is it definitely a bad bering?
Does your noise get worse on left turns?

Old 01-18-2006, 08:55 PM

Yes on left turns. I feel the vibration more in the pedal. I will try moving the wheel on a 12 and 6 pivot.
thanks

Old 01-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Ok, jack up the right side. When you make a right turn, the right hand side of the vehicle lifts and the left squats. So there is less pressure on the wheel to the inside of the turn. I'm betting you'll find that the right wheel bearing is sloppy. Good luck and let us know.

Quick Reply: Noise coming from front end... please help