2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2017 | 12:27 AM
Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector's Avatar
|
Former Sponsor
Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector is on a distinguished road
Default clunk noise

Final post yes it was the idler got one from summit racing for $49.00 and it is a heavy duty one. It took a second person to move the wheels while I looked at suspension and found it rite away.

Old 02-05-2017 | 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

is that the same as the pitman arm?

Old 02-05-2017 | 09:28 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

No, pitman arm is on the drivers side on the steering box.

Old 02-05-2017 | 09:55 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Default Clunk Noise

Found the Idler Arm to be loose but that isn't the noise I have been trying to locate. This noise is very illusive have jacked it up on jack stand then put jack under lower control arm to simulate on ground. And have taken out jack and let wheel hang tried to test for loose ball joints and lower control arm bushings. Noticed the sway bar bushing is starting to slip out at the joint. But as I have said this noise is even felt now when it clunks as your rolling forward or backwards. May have to break down and let the professionals check it for me and let me know what is bad since I am unable to track it down.

Last edited by Ultimate Automotive Leak Detector; 02-05-2017 at 10:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2017 | 06:16 PM
|
Former Sponsor
Default Clunk Noise #2+

This is really quite annoying not knowing for sure. Have tested the ball joints both loaded and hanging. Also the upper control arms on pavement turn wheel full left and then move it in and out while watching the bushings for movement both upper and lower. And that's when I found the loose Idler Arm but sure cant believe that could be responsible for a clunk that can be felt in the drivers seat. But will keep all posted on this noise because if when I replace the Idler Arm it seems to resolve the issue I will be the first to say G D. As well as thank goodness. It wont be long before I do have to replace the control bushings due to old age cracks in them but as I said not enough movement yet to require replacement or as far as I can see not the responsible part for the clunk noise but in a week or so we will know for sure.

Old 02-22-2017 | 06:40 PM
Banned
jlovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Clunk Noise

Solved as mentioned before I replaced the Idler arm and that brought the toe out in about a 1" on passenger side. Didn't notice how bad it was until seen its movement on the steering. Also each time would set up my ramps in front of wheels and drive up on ramp the right side was off by about a inch while the driver side was rite on. But the idler arm fixed that problem real quick except the clunk noise was still there. So got to checking every thing again and while turning the wheel heard it and found it to be the new shocks recently installed. The round rubber bumpers were still there but it seems to be clunking on the bushing that the top bolt runs through. Not sure if its loose or just not a tight fit but noise solved for sure this time. Hope that helps out anyone out there suffering from the same issue. And as said before the noise started out had replaced the shocks with brand new ones front and rear from the parts store as well as the front and rear disk pads.

Old 03-11-2017 | 05:20 PM
Banned
jlovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Clunk Noise Solved

Finally got it and repaired it. But couldn't find it myself tried prying under the tire with car on jack stands also with jack under control arm as well as the car on jack stands. Couldn't find any play in ball joints or control arm bushings so took it to Les Swab and got a free estimate and they even showed me one guy wiggled the tire and I watched the upper ball joint and there it was ever so slight but never the less the movement was quite a bit more once the car was down and moving with full weight on it. So now with the new shocks brake pads all four new tires it runs and handles so sweet like a Blazer should with that 4.3 liter spunk.