2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

clutch kicks on and off

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 11:39 AM
Beginning Member
crasy is on a distinguished road
Default clutch kicks on and off

Hello im back with another ac problem. The clutch on the ac compress kicks on and off continually. Actuator is fine, freon level is around 55 psi on low side while ac is on max, and i put a new cycling switch on the accumulator but the clutch on the compressor kicks on and off. Any ideas?
Ive also tried resetting the hvac by turning key to on position and waiting on actuator to reset.
Also the ac blows hot air at all times. The clutch will only kick on for a few seconds, then about 5 seconds later itll do it again.

Last edited by crasy; 08-11-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 AM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C cycling with good pressure

Sounds like the orifice tube is plugged. Cheap part but requires opening the system. So put in a new accumulator too and pump a good vacuum as a minimum service. There may be more crud in the system (what's its history?) so do a good flush and relube for a thorough job.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member

I was having a problem with the ac only working sometimes, it would blow hot air then cold air etc etc. So i checked actuator gears tried putting a new one in, didnt work. So i put old one in put freon in, ended up putting too much so i let some out( at this point the clutch would run sometimes but not always), then i put on a new cycling switch but now the clutch turns on and off. Opening the system is that something i could do myself if i had the right tools?

Old 08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

55 sounds too high and your on an off compressor sounds like you need to add refigerant, try adding refrigerant and see what happens

Old 08-11-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What you are experiencing sounds more to me like an overfill condition. 55 does seem quite high for the low side.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry im retarded. it was 55 yesterday but my friend told me that was too high so we let it down to about 40.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Starting Member
hkellogg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crasy
Sorry im retarded. it was 55 yesterday but my friend told me that was too high so we let it down to about 40.

and you are saying at that pressure the clutch isn't fully engaged all the time ? It seems very odd, it might be worth it to vacuum down and see if you can pull a full vacuum to make sure there are no clogs or barriers, then recarge

Old 08-12-2009, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member

took it to local shop they evacced the system and recharged and now it is working. He said he took the whole system apart and found nothing wrong with it. no clue!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:41 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

well does it work now? casue im having the same problem

Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Beginning Member

It seems to be working now but i dont see how its fixed by him taking everything apart, evvacing the system and recharging. What is your ac doing and what have you tried?

Quick Reply: clutch kicks on and off