2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold Weather Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Starting Member
JasonGoneFishing is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
2 door and 4 door pumps are different, not interchangable.

2 door is FG0072
4 door is FG0052

The new pump should have the new style connector included in the box.

If your vehicle has the old style connector on the wire harness, you need to change it over. The connections must be soldered with 60/40 lead/tin solder and heat shrink tube to seal the connections.

Black & orange are ground. Purple is for the fuel level sender, grey is for the pump.
My old pump is the old connector, the new pump is the new connector. They asked me at each store if I have a two or four door, I have a four door and twice today I was given a pump that had the black/grey wires in the wrong place. I think there is something else going on. This also happened to me with the cheap filter from EBay.

Attached Thumbnails Cold Weather Issues-harnessconnectors.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 09:47 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The color of the wires in the connector is not important. The placement of the wires in the connector is what you need to make sure is correct.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:29 AM
spittybays

Hey any place you can put this truck were it's warm. Dry gas is just ethanol. You could go to the booze store and get ever clear. Try to get the truck in a warm place for a day then start it with your ether. Excesses water get's in by running a low tank and condensation. Freeze up will cause low FP.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The color of the wires in the connector is not important. The placement of the wires in the connector is what you need to make sure is correct.
Not sure if I understand. Why is it that when I used the other two filters, the pump didn't work but when I used the two filters with the black wire to the right, it works just fine and both kinds are for a 1999 4 door blazer.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:23 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The black wire and the orange wire on the new connector go to ground. Better to run them directly to ground near the tank, rather than connect them to the wires in the vehicle harness connector. In the vehicle harness connector, one of the black wires grounds near the rear bumper. The other one grounds to the rear of the passenger side cylinder head. If you run the black and orange wires in the new connector directly to ground, you will eliminate future problems, trust me

The grey and purple wires in the new connector, go to the grey and purple wires in the original vehicle harness connector. Just match up the colors and you're good to go.

Unknown why the other pumps didn't work, maybe some off the wall, el cheapo, China aftermarket pump.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
Starting Member

One was Spectra, I forget the other one and the first came from CarParts.com

So here is another thing I hear all the time.

On the drivers side, when idle or in park, you can hear it well. I took a video of it and you can hear it easily.

Any thoughts on what it may be?

Other than the weird noise, truck runs great. The spare tire cable broke a few months ago so going to get that fixed this week, then new tires and shocks all the way around. I noticed the Blazer is uneven, seems to be a worn out leaf spring, so may get two new ones to correct it, because it bugs be.

Old 01-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Starting Member

Next I have to get this fixed...... Whoever had this before me has the front end all messed up.....

Attached Thumbnails Cold Weather Issues-20140113_210010.jpg   Cold Weather Issues-20140113_210021.jpg  
Old 01-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Starting Member

I also noticed when we had the truck on the lift, looking at the rear, the right side/passenger side was not level with the other side. So we dropped it and measured it, front side was 1" down and the rear was 1 1.5" down, is this a leaf spring issue or torsion bar or both?

When looking at the front of the truck, I noticed the tires didn't look right. The top of the tires, both sides go in and the bottom go out, when you set the truck down the top lean back out to where they are supposed to be. What's going on here and what needs to be replaced?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:44 PM

You'll need to check chassis ride height, both front & rear. The torsion bars are adjustable on the front, but if rear ride height is out of spec, it will need new rear leaf springs. To check ride height, the vehicle must be on a level surface, side to side and front to rear.

This shows where the measurements on the front are taken:

Name:  Frontchassisrideheight_zps1c940df5.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  118.5 KB

Measure from the center of the pivot bolt to the ground, and subtract the measurement from the steering knuckle to the ground. The result is front chassis ride height. Check both sides.
Turn the torsion bar adjusting bolts to adjust.

1996 & newer 4WD:
Except ZR2: 4.6" to 5.0" (4.8" is preferred)
ZR2: 4.6" to 5.2" (4.9" is preferred)

Rear is measured from the top of the rear axle tube to the lower surface of the axle bumper bracket on each side:
5.1" to 5.8" (5.4" is preferred)

When ride height is correct, have the front end aligned.

Afterwards, if the vehicle appears to lean to one side, look for a body or frame problem.

Wheels tilting when raised/lowered is normal.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:30 AM
Starting Member

Thanks, we will be looking into this I think in 2 weeks.

Another question, I'm going to add new tires and shocks. I want to fit 32's, so I found a RC lift at 2.5". I also seen some folks here that had a body lift at 2", is a body lift needed to run 32's? I seen where 30x9.5x15 will work on a stock Blazer but if a 2.5" lift will fit 32's or eve 31's, I would like to install it.

If I install the lift kit, do I need to purchase new lower control arms?

I found similar kits to the link before for around $100, should I stay away from them and buy a name brand?

MOOG Moog-PackageDeal115 Front End Steering Pack Made by MOOG

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Issues