2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cold Weather Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:11 PM
Starting Member
JasonGoneFishing is on a distinguished road
Default Cold Weather Issues

Here in KY it got very cold, -26 with wind chill. Went to work and it was 6 degrees out at 7am. Took my lunch at 1pm and it was -7 below and truck started right up. Went to leave for work and truck wouldn't start. I then had it jumped because it sounded like the battery was weak, but that didn't work. So I bought a new battery and that didn't work. So I called up my buddy and told him what the problems were and he told me I had condensation in my gas tank, which then froze in the fuel line somewhere causing the truck not to get gas. So later that day I hooked up the engine block heater, after 4 hours I still couldn't start it. Then I got some starting fluid and it started up, then died. Sprayed a little more and then it started, was rough for a few seconds and then seemed fine. I took off to return some items to the store, when I got on the main road I gave it some gas but nothing happened. I gave it more and it died on me. Had to start it up with the fluid again. I forget, I also added a bottle of Heet and I had 3/4 of a tank of gas at the time, now I'm at half a tank after letting it run for 3 hours. Anyways, I drove it around the side lots away from traffic, whenever I gave it gas, or even floored it, it would hesitate and either die or just slowly idle back down, if I kept at it, it died. When I give it gas you can also hear it backfire at the motor. The fastest I got was 35 mph and that's because it was down hill.

Below is what was replaced back in October - November:

6 New Spark Plugs
6 New Spark Plug Wires
New Fuel Pump
New Fuel Filter
2 New Tires
New Front Rotors
New Front Brake Pad
New PVC Valve
New K&N Air Filter
2 New Shocks
New 4x4 Actuator Valve
New 4x4 Vacuum Lines
New Alternator
New Radiator
New Antifreeze
New Oil Change
New Axle Seal
New Front Differential Seal
New Battery
New Legal Window Tint
New Distributor Cap
New Rotor Button
New Front End Alignment
New Headlight Bulbs
New Taillight Bulbs
New LED License Plate Lights
New LED Dome Lights
New Thermostat
New Fuel Pressure Regulator
Flushed heater core, now I have heat.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Yes I do have an error code, P0410 Secondary Air Injection System, but that's not the problem. Truck was running fine well before this issue and it's not a part that needs to be replaced, actually not even needed but will replace soon just so the light is not on.

Mileage is a little over 27,000 original miles.

No I did not test for fuel pressure.

Last edited by JasonGoneFishing; 01-07-2014 at 10:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Classic symptom of low fuel pressure. What brand of fuel pump did you install?

On your 1999??? in the underhood fuse panel there is a vacant terminal next to the fuel pump relay. The circuit goes directly to the fuel pump.
Name:  DSC_0154-Copy-1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  12.8 KB

Connect the fuel pressure tester to the service port next to the distributor. Connect one end of a fused jumper wire to battery positive. Connect the other end of the jumper wire to the pump prime terminal. After the fuel pressure stabilizes on the tester, write it down. Disconnect the jumper wire. Wait 10 minutes and write down the pressure reading. Post both readings.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-07-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Classic symptom of low fuel pressure. What brand of fuel pump did you install?
Brand new AC Delco, the one that was recommended on here by a forum member.

I don't have a tester handy at the moment, will need to purchase one to do the test.

Last edited by JasonGoneFishing; 01-07-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:48 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I see in one of your other threads, that you replaced the PCM and had it flashed to your VIN. That's good, but did you do the crankshaft position sensor relearn? That is not included with the flash, and must be done.

Originally Posted by JasonGoneFishing
Replaced the ECM just now, still no luck. When we start the truck we can't hear the fuel pump. I'm $110 into this issue. Any ideas?
Most auto parts stores rent the tester, post the readings when you can.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-07-2014 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Starting Member

I see in one of your other threads, that you replaced the PCM and had it flashed to your VIN. That's good, but did you do the crankshaft position sensor relearn? That is not included with the flash, and must be done.

Most auto parts stores rent the tester, post the readings when you can.
Actually there was nothing wrong with the original PCM so we put it back on.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Starting Member

Update:

My buddy dropped the gas tank and removed just about all the gas, less than 1/4 tank left. He found a lot of water in the gas. He showed me as well.

Today I helped with the some troubleshooting. We confirmed the pump is working but didn't test the pressure yet. Before I stopped by he tried testing the pump and it didn't work. He told me to buy a new relay and a new ecm 1 fuse. So we put the new ones on and now the pump works when the key is turned. He took the hose off after the filter and it came out pretty hard.

We also tested all the fuses, cleaned the mass airflow sensor, double checked a lot of connections, wiring, our previous work, etc. Everything checked out, only thing we didn't check yet was the fuel pressure regulator because the intake needs to be removed.

So tomorrow we are going to check the fuel line pressure. The truck may start up tomorrow because the battery was almost dead and may not have been strong enough to start the truck, I hope that's all it is.

We also manually hooked up the fuel pump to a battery, it pumped gas all day long so in theory the truck should have started if there was something going on in-between the pump and the fuses, unless the pump wasn't pumping the correct psi. But it didn't start.

Some of what I said above is mixed up in the order we did things but in the end the battery was almost dead. We hope to have it running by Friday evening.

One more thing, while charging the battery, there was a lot of spark coming from both terminals and there was nothing else. To us that seemed like something was not right somewhere as we haven't seen that before on my Blazer. Any thoughts on that?

So my buddy thinks ice may have formed in the fuel pump somewhere that may have blown one of the fuses we changed which then led to water in the tank causing it to backfire, etc.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Starting Member

Just got confirmation, bad fuel pump. Only reading 35 psi Headed out to change it

Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 PM

Water is heavier than gasoline, it will settle on the bottom of the tank... right where the fuel pump pick up is. If the pump injests enough water, and it freezes, the pump would seize but the pump motor would try to energize and pop the fuse. Hard to say what kind of damage would be done from the water freezing in the pump.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-10-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Starting Member

Water is heavier than gasoline, it will settle on the bottom of the tank... right where the fuel pump pick up is. If the pump injests enough water, and it freezes, the pump would seize but the pump motor would try to energize and pop the fuse. Hard to say what kind of damage would be done from the water freezing in the pump.

Blazer is now running. Why are there different kinds of fuel pumps for a 1999 blazer? I needed the one with the black wire to the right and the grey wire to the left. 2 stores stated I had the correct one but the wires were is in the correct order. They flow the opposite direction. I got a Delphi this time for $268 at Auto Zone.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:44 PM

2 door and 4 door pumps are different, not interchangable.

2 door is FG0072
4 door is FG0052

The new pump should have the new style connector included in the box.

Name:  HarnessConnectors.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  13.8 KB

If your vehicle has the old style connector on the wire harness, you need to change it over. The connectoins must be soldered with 60/40 lead/tin solder and heat shrink tube to seal the connections.

Black & orange are ground. Purple is for the fuel level sender, grey is for the pump.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-10-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather Issues