2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Combination problem ABS and auto tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Beginning Member
AndyBees is on a distinguished road

I've never had to do anything to this vehicle accept routine maintenance. So, I have to admit, I know very little about it.

My primary vehicle is a VW Jetta TDI (diesel) that averages over 50 mpg at 70 mph.

I have a computer program and OBD II smart cable as well as an awesome Bentley Manual. I do my own maintenance and service on it (just under 260,000 miles on it) as well as several other TDIs in the area.

So, now, my goal is to obtain a high quality service/repair manual and hopefully a similar OBD diagnostic tool. The VAG COM (VCDS) diagnostic tool for the VW is superb in providing all kinds of info. Unfortunately, it is only useful to European vehicles.

So, where do I start? Does anyone have recommendations for a good service/repair manual and diagnostic tool?

Old 11-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

My vote would be a FSM (factory service manual).

The problem you will run into is the hack job of a PCM that your truck likely has. 1995 was the bastard year for the Blazer. It was the year that GM transitioned to OBDII. You could have one of three different PCM configurations (search for "OBD1.5").

Your truck likely has the old style ABS module in it. Some shops have the required tools to access it, but really do not know how to use them. The dealer would get my vote for a place to start. Have them read the codes from the ABS system and give you the list. They'll charge a diagnostic fee, but it is far cheaper and easier than trying to find the proper scan tool. I do not even know if the relatively inexpensive aftermarket scan tools can do this task.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:52 PM
Beginning Member

Oh man, I guess that's good and bad news rolled into one.

So, most likely I was lucky that I made the 28 hour round-trip to Philly and return (southeast Kentucky) this past July.

Wow, well, the nearest dealer to me is at least a 45 minute drive... rollback no doubt.

I think I'm going to go over it to look for the possible rodent attack as well as observe everything else.

Thanks, for the input!

Once the issue is resolved, I'll post the results.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:18 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Kragen-O'riley has a scan tool that might work, but like Swartlkk said you need to know if it will work on your truck. If you can pull codes with the "loaner" obd ll scanner you might be ok for the more advanced ones. My 95 can use the regular obd ll scanner. The one at kragen is about $230, but it has enhanced and bi-directional which is good for your abs. Might be cheaper to have the dealer do the scan if it is'nt rodent or scuffes wires. best of luck!

Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Beginning Member
Default OBD code readers

Originally Posted by jigger
Kragen-O'riley has a scan tool that might work, but like Swartlkk said you need to know if it will work on your truck. If you can pull codes with the "loaner" obd ll scanner you might be ok for the more advanced ones. My 95 can use the regular obd ll scanner. The one at kragen is about $230, but it has enhanced and bi-directional which is good for your abs. Might be cheaper to have the dealer do the scan if it is'nt rodent or scuffes wires. best of luck!
Jigger,

Thanks for the advice and guidance. The ScanGuage I use on my VW products, my son's Jeep, and neighbor's vehicles will read the engine functions.... water temp, MPG, speed, rpm, etc. I assume it can detech engine codes as well. When I scanned the Blazer with it, there were no fault codes, at least no engine issues. I also have VAG COM Diagnostic System (VCDS) and smart cable by Ross-Tech that only services European vehicles (fairly pricey, but worth it).

I e-mailed three different companys on-line (obdcom.com, obdscan.net and auterraweb.com) requesting info. All three have replied saying their products will not access the ABS for fault codes (only 1996-to present). Auterraweb did say their package for the GM Enhanced OBD II for ABS "may or may not" and the only way would be to try it. At $139.00, and not know, I don't want to risk the time or funds.

I don't mind paying $230.00 if it will work. My Blazer is in Excellent condition ...... no digs, no dents, oil changes more often than necessary, all systems work (except the obvious), etc. So, to invest in a good OBD tool is okay with me. I plan to keep the vehicle another 10 years or more!

Okay, thanks again for the advice and guidance. I'll do a search on Kragen.

Andy

Last edited by AndyBees; 11-17-2009 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Typo, grammer
Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 AM

The one autozone sells is actron, they (actron also makes upgraded ones) but autozone doesn't stock them. You could try a google for actron to see what they offer. Don't know where you live but pep boys carries a couple of different brands. If you buy at a store have them open the package so you can read the instructions, if the book doesn't tell you how to preform a test then the tool won't do it. If they won't open the package then they don't want your money!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Beginning Member

Okay guys, I finally took the time to run by my uncle's garage to obtain some info about my '95 Blazer ......... sticker info under the hood and the owner's manual.

A sticker under the hood states (in fine print) that my '95 Blazer is OBD I compliant. Also, a sticker in the door jam says it was manufactured 02/95.

Does this info tell anyone which OBD scanner I should purchase ... particularly one that will access ABS and read those codes.

Without going back to the original post here is the issue: Auto tranny revs up when it shifts to 3rd (doesn't enguage into 3rd) and the ABS light flashes ........ all this happened at the same time, no warning at all.

Many thanks,
Andy

Old 11-20-2009, 09:59 PM

If its obd1 i thought you could access codes with a jumper wire. Sombody smarter than me might be able to tell you if that will work for ABS also.
by the way did you check the vehicle speed sensor like Swartlkk said?

Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 PM

checking codes on 95? ( 1 2)
blzn95
Andybees this might help a little-found it poking around the 1995-2000 tec articles in this forum.
Good luck!

Old 11-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

While you can check general powertrain codes with a jumper wire, ABS codes will not be accessible using this method.

Quick Reply: Combination problem ABS and auto tranny